Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DELL Laptop after booting goes to black screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 samsad.beagum

samsad.beagum

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:15 AM

My Dell Laptop was given to a technician to change the screen frame as it was broken.

The hard disk was removed to copy some urgently required files for office.

I connected the hard disk to hp laptop, copied the files, chose the Hide option of Pictures folder in hard disk inorder to hide the Pictures folder, and gave back the hard disk to the technician to fix it.

After fixing it, he told the Windows is corrupted. I got the laptop back to check it.

After booting, it goes to a black screen. I tried in safe mode also. It still goes to a black screen.

Startup repair runs for a while and it again goes to a black screen with cursor.

Kindly reply me, if you have any solution.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:41 PM

Are you saying...that an IT point of contact...gave you back a system that isn't working properly?  Take it back to the IT department, they are responsible for any "solutions" to said property.

Louis

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:49 PM

It took more to get to the point of coping off Office files then you are mentioning.  It would require taking ownership of files under the HP user account to then have file access.  Never a good idea when wanting to go back to the original system to change file ownership.  Hopefully this was limited to only the pictures folder though I would expect the entire user folder would need to be done.

Flashing cursor indicates the loss of the master boot record.  You can get into recovery and run the utilities fixboot and fixmbr to see if you can then boot up.

#4 samsad.beagum

samsad.beagum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:04 AM

Are you saying...that an IT point of contact...gave you back a system that isn't working properly?  Take it back to the IT department, they are responsible for any "solutions" to said property.

Louis

I took it back with lack of satisfaction.

#5 samsad.beagum

samsad.beagum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:41 AM

It took more to get to the point of coping off Office files then you are mentioning.  It would require taking ownership of files under the HP user account to then have file access.  Never a good idea when wanting to go back to the original system to change file ownership.  Hopefully this was limited to only the pictures folder though I would expect the entire user folder would need to be done.

Flashing cursor indicates the loss of the master boot record.  You can get into recovery and run the utilities fixboot and fixmbr to see if you can then boot up.

I don't remember I changed the ownership. Only while opening the user folder, it prompted "You dont have permission to... Continue". I clicked Continue.

When I ran Hard disk test, it gave beep sound showing some error (forgot the error number). When I searched for this error number in internet, many suggested faulty hard disk and replacement as solution.

So I removed the dell hard disk and connected to hp laptop again. I had 3 drives in the hard disk. I could open 2 drives except the original C drive. It showed "Access denied".

Then I changed the ownership to Administrator.  No objects are found. So added system and TrustedInstaller objects, gave full control and then changed back the owner to Trusted Installer. I could access the original C drive, no problem. For all the folders, either System or TrustedInstaller is made the owner. (I guessed ownership should be the problem).

But after connecting back the hard disk (really a hard job with dell), the problem does not disappear.

After showing Starting Windows with the Windows icon, it goes to a blank black screen. Now no cursor too.

I have tried safe mode with command prompt, it again goes to a black screen.

Recovery - after taking some input like language - it goes to a black screen.

#6 samsad.beagum

samsad.beagum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:44 AM

I have tried with bootrec tool.  No OS Installations found. Then used RebuildBcd option as shown in the following.

• bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
  • c:
  • cd boot
  • attrib bcd -s -h -r
  • ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
  • bootrec /RebuildBcd

After that it showed, one windows installation found in E:   (But actually C: drive will be written as D: in recovery.)

Restarting again, does not solve the problem.  Any idea?

Edited by hamluis, 16 November 2014 - 10:01 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users