Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows vista home premium oemact: won't start and won't go in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 adw1

adw1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:19 AM

my customer gave me the computer beecause it was slow and they couldn't get on the internet. when i first started working on the computer it was saying that it needed an update sp2 or sp3 in a moment of frustration i broke my rule and updated the computer before removing the virus. that was a big mistake the computer begin showing binary code and hasn't started or gone to safe mode since i made that blunder. now when i turn on the computer it shows the dell page and than it starts flashing binary code. it won't start or go into safe mode. so i tried putting the hard drive of the vista computer in another working computer as a secondary hard drive scan the system with superantispyware, malwarebytes antimalware, malwarebytes rootkits, bitdefender. this did find some of the malware, but it didn't solve the issue. when i put the hard drive back i was seeing the same problem.

i would appreciate any direction you can give thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:55 AM

I guess I would back up their files, and then factory restore if available, or reinstall vista from scratch formatting everything. Some other people might have less drastic ideas like repairing the existing windows somehow

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:57 AM

Unfortunately, if you can't boot into Vista you are extremely limited in your repair options.  Microsoft in their infinite wisdom decided to set Vista up so that the only way to do a repair installation is with the computer booted into Windows.  You can't boot from the installation disc, so there are no options there.

Since you can't boot into Vista, you would not be able to use the System Recovery partition, if one came with this computer.

I suspect that you are looking at one option here, recovery what ever data you can and then wipe the hdd and reinstall Vista.  If you do not have a disc you may be able to get a local shop to make you a copy of your version to reinstall the operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users