Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on multi booting form seprate drives

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:53 PM

I'm planning to add a second HDD for my desktop PC and I'm wondering what's the best method for multi booting form separate drives (HDD/SDD)?

And whats your favorite boot manager along with pros/cons? From what I have seen Burg looks very promising.

The operating systems I'm planning to install are Windows 7 & KAOS OS and I want to partition around half of my 2TB HDD for CloneZilla backups plus the second 500GB HDD for Windows.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:20 AM

Hello,
About your first question – SSD vs HDD – If you have two operating systems, always one of the drives will always be secondary/storage and HDDs are more suitable for the purpoise. Also the capacities that you mentioned are quite large and unavailable in SSD – so I would suggest to go with an HDD, and preferably one that is suitable both as a primary and secondary drive.

Typically you would want to have one drive at a time in the computer, while installing operation systems, to avoid any possible problems. 

After you're done with installing the operating systems and both drives are plugged in - you can select and change the boot priority in BIOS.  

Here's a useful link about boot priorities: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/change-the-default-operating-system-for-startup-multiboot

I hope my advice was helpful, best regards, Citizen_WD

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,654 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:08 PM

IF I understand this correctly, you want the following setup, please correct me if I am wrong:

> (1) 500gig HDD dedicated to Windows 7 only;

> (1) 2TB HDD with 2 partitions as follows:

>Partition #1: KAOS OS

>Partition #2: dedicated to backups only

I am not sure about the SSD, Citizen_WD seems to cover that in his post above. So I will assume 2 HDDs.

A lot depends on the BIOS of whatever brand motherboard you are using. Usually there is an option to tap an FKEY on boot and that brings up a menu giving you the option to boot into any operating system the BIOS detects. Asus & Asrock use F8. I currently have Windows 7, Windows 8.l and Windows XP on three (3) separate HDDs and I can boot into any I wish by tapping the F8 key on boot. I works really great, and I have no need for a 3rd party boot manager.

I know nothing about the KAOS operating system, it seems to be a highly specialized system of some kind, so I don't know if it will react in a standard way.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:56 PM

I haven't used KAOS but if this is what you mean then Grub 2 which is included with the OS is capable of starting Windows 7 and any Linux OS's.  The OS's can be installed on any drive, as long as the Grub boot loader is installed in the MBR of your primary HDD, then it will load the menu when you first boot the system.  In Linux versions I have used (OpenSuse and Ubuntu based distro's mainly) Grub is auto configured during the installation process.  It scans the drives and any found OS's are added to the boot menu.  NB it is normally easier to install Linux after installing Windows.  In some problem cases, or where you just prefer the standard Windows boot menu for some reason, Easy BCD is an option that is free for personal use.

Edited by jonuk76, 04 November 2014 - 06:59 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:56 AM

System specs: Asus B85M-E, Intel Core i5 4570, Nvida GTX 760, 16 GB DDR3 RAM

IF I understand this correctly, you want the following setup, please correct me if I am wrong:

> (1) 500gig HDD dedicated to Windows 7 only;

> (1) 2TB HDD with 2 partitions as follows:

>Partition #1: KAOS OS

>Partition #2: dedicated to backups only

I am not sure about the SSD, Citizen_WD seems to cover that in his post above. So I will assume 2 HDDs.

A lot depends on the BIOS of whatever brand motherboard you are using. Usually there is an option to tap an FKEY on boot and that brings up a menu giving you the option to boot into any operating system the BIOS detects. Asus & Asrock use F8. I currently have Windows 7, Windows 8.l and Windows XP on three (3) separate HDDs and I can boot into any I wish by tapping the F8 key on boot. I works really great, and I have no need for a 3rd party boot manager.

I know nothing about the KAOS operating system, it seems to be a highly specialized system of some kind, so I don't know if it will react in a standard way.

Thanks and yes you are correct thats the setup I'm planning to go with, BTW KAOS is a KDE distro like Kubuntu.

KAOS OS is consistently updated and maintained and thoroughly checked for compatibility speaking of which I was having issues trying to get the audio to work correctly in Kubuntu but after running the live version of KAOS OS and selecting the video card updater/configuration I was finaly able to get proper audio playback in booth KAOS & Kubuntu tool which is one of the main reasons why I decided to go with KAOS for Linux gaming. :)

I haven't used KAOS but if this is what you mean then Grub 2 which is included with the OS is capable of starting Windows 7 and any Linux OS's.  The OS's can be installed on any drive, as long as the Grub boot loader is installed in the MBR of your primary HDD, then it will load the menu when you first boot the system.  In Linux versions I have used (OpenSuse and Ubuntu based distro's mainly) Grub is auto configured during the installation process.  It scans the drives and any found OS's are added to the boot menu.  NB it is normally easier to install Linux after installing Windows.  In some problem cases, or where you just prefer the standard Windows boot menu for some reason, Easy BCD is an option that is free for personal use.

Yes I know it's included with most Linux distros in fact I'm running with my current setup. But I'm not sure if supports a modern interface much like how BURG, Grub2Win , or the recently updated Chameleon Bootloader do. Thanks.

Edited by SuperSapien64, 05 November 2014 - 02:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users