Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaned laptop keyboard with disinfecting wipes, moments later keyboard inop.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 XCLR8

XCLR8

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:57 PM

Hello. I am an auto technician and I use my laptop for work and personal use. Long story short about cleaning my laptop with disinfecting wipes, I have sensitive skin.

I cleaned my keyboard from my laptop with a disinfecting wipe. A few moments later, the keyboard stops working. Automatically I knew the liquid must have gotten somewhere to the connector. Researched online to figure out how to take a part my laptop. Cleaned the ribbon of the keyboard with a Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol. Went further to take apart the case around the keyboard and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Reassembled the laptop after cleaning the ribbon end and keyboard is still not responding. Went to computer management uninstalled both keyboards found and reinstalled (only 1 was able to re-install automatically). Still not functioning.

So here I am, upset thinking I may have to buy myself another keyboard...or worse a laptop? This is the laptop info:

HP Pavilion

17-e019dx

Windows 8.1

Oh and after reassembling, the touchpad is now not working. FML. I'm going to break it down again and hopefully it's just not plugged in correctly. I'm using my smartphone to post this. If you gurus can help me out on how to figure out what went wrong, much will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:31 AM

If it is properly attached and nothing is broken with it (like you didn't snap anything off etc when you took it apart) and it still doesn't work, then, I would boot to a linux mint cd and see if the keyboard and touch pad work there. If they don't, then I would assume that the keyboard needs to be replaced.

In the meantime you can use a regular USB keyboard.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:03 AM

I'll second a USB keyboard and mouse.  Odds are you have damaged the keyboard and touch pad.

You may be able to replace them, but probably not worth the cost as this would be an out of warranty repair.  The inside of HP laptops have a reactive resin that changes color when it gets wet and once a tech sees that warranty is out of the question.  Replacing the keyboard and touchpad yourself isn't recommended as they are most likely ZIF ribbon cable connections and even the pros have broken a few and if you break the system board portion it means the system board has to be replaced.

Edited by Kilroy, 04 November 2014 - 07:07 AM.

#4 XCLR8

XCLR8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:39 AM

Thanks for the tip of using a linux cd. Hopefully it'll function there. I'll post back with results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users