Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux 17 and Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Weenex

Weenex

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:40 PM

I'm new to owning a computer so excuse me if I ask dumb questions...I just got a Linux 17 live dvd. I have been using Wxp.

The Linux works great so far, the other version wouldn't let me online. Can a computer get a virus if you're using a live disc? I had malwarebytes on the Wxp but the icon doesn't show in the tray on Linux. Do I need to install it again? As I said in other posts I never got the correct key to the Wxp so it will expire in 26 days and I'm hoping the Linux will keep me online after that. Should I eventually put the Linux on the hard drive or just run it in the dvd player? All I do is surf the net, email,ebay, and YouTube--nothing else.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:47 PM

Can a computer get a virus if you're using a live disc?

Short answer is no.

Infact surfing the net from a Live Disk is one of the safest methods I know , This also includes internet banking while using a Live Disk.

I had malwarebytes on the Wxp but the icon doesn't show in the tray on Linux

Malwarebytes will not work on Linux Let alone a Live boot . You do not need this sort of stuff on Linux. 

I'm hoping the Linux will keep me online after that

Should I eventually put the Linux on the hard drive

Yes it will. Should you wish to install Linux Mint on your Pc, First please read this, Help with drivers 

Look at that it will give you some idea of what to expect,

If you have any questions please start a new thread.

Because you are using the Live Disk already you know it will work with your PC.

Edited by NickAu1, 03 November 2014 - 10:28 PM.

#3 Weenex

Weenex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:53 PM

Can a computer get a virus if you're using a live disc?

Short answer is no.

Infact surfing the net from a Live Disk is one of the safest methods I know , This also includes internet banking while using a Live Disk.

I had malwarebytes on the Wxp but the icon doesn't show in the tray on Linux

Malwarebytes will not work on Linux Let alone a Live boot . You do not need this sort of stuff on Linux. 

I'm hoping the Linux will keep me online after that

Should I eventually put the Linux on the hard drive

Yes it will. Should you wish to install Linux Mint on your Pc, First please read this, Help with drivers 

Look at that it will give you some idea of what to expect,

If you have any questions please start a new thread.

Because you are using the Live Disk already you know it will work with your PC.

Thanks for the response, that is pretty much what I thought. I will just keep it live for now. My video has been really good tonight also with no freezes.

Edited by Weenex, 03 November 2014 - 11:53 PM.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,556 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:05 AM

I will just keep it live for now.

Want a faster loading Operating system? Have you tried Puppy Linux this was made for Live booting. And it's fast.

Tahrpup uses Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr packages and includes the bugfixes and improvements from the woof CE build system. It is compatible with Ubuntu 14.04 packages. The Linux kernel version is 3.14.20.
Explore the Tharpup folder at ibiblio or nluug for downloads (Try the PAE build first).

Try the PAE build first.
tahr-6.0-CE_PAE.iso

Or

tahr-6.0-CE_noPAE.iso

PS.
Yes that is correct its only a 200 MiB ISO. Try it out.

Demonstration of Puppy Linux This is not the puppy in the link I gave you, However it don't matter most puppies look the same
http://youtu.be/FM2lhn-mAm4

Edited by NickAu1, 04 November 2014 - 12:29 AM.

#5 Weenex

Weenex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:44 PM

I will just keep it live for now.

Want a faster loading Operating system? Have you tried Puppy Linux this was made for Live booting. And it's fast.

Tahrpup uses Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr packages and includes the bugfixes and improvements from the woof CE build system. It is compatible with Ubuntu 14.04 packages. The Linux kernel version is 3.14.20.
Explore the Tharpup folder at ibiblio or nluug for downloads (Try the PAE build first).

Try the PAE build first.
tahr-6.0-CE_PAE.iso

Or

tahr-6.0-CE_noPAE.iso

PS.
Yes that is correct its only a 200 MiB ISO. Try it out.

Demonstration of Puppy Linux This is not the puppy in the link I gave you, However it don't matter most puppies look the same
http://youtu.be/FM2lhn-mAm4

Thanks for the additional info. This has made a world of difference watching videos with Linux! On Wxp my wifi adapter light flickered on Linux it's a steady blue, if that means anything. My computer acts like a nice tv now! Even the volume control is greater. Wifi increased from 48% to 64% (shared from a neighbor)

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,556 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:50 PM

You are most welcome, If you have any questions feel free to ask.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users