Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAW Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RoninDK

RoninDK

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:43 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/398607/hdd-and-usb-to-sataide-adapter/ - Hamluis.

Hi 

My problem is the same as the starter of this thread.

I had a WD Linkstation that stopped working because the HD could not be found. All my family pictures are on the HD, so I really want to try to get the files from there. So I learned that I should take out the HD and buy a USB SATA IDE HD Converter .

I did that and connected the converter (Goobay) to the HD and then to the PC. But when connecting the drive 6 drives came up H:, I:, J: and E:, F:  and G:. Each of them showed "You must format the HD before it can be used. Do you want to format the drive?".

And the answer to that question is a clear no, since I need the files on the HD.

I followed the instructions earlier in this thread, run, command, and cd, but could not get to the J: drive, which I believe is the real HD since it has the right size (2Terabyte"

In the disk manager it says the drives are all RAW, healthy, primary partions. 

But when trying to CD/ and J: it says it says "the volume does not contain a recognized file system"

Any help from here?

Edited by hamluis, 03 November 2014 - 09:12 PM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:13 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Do you have enough disk capacity on your internal drive to accept the data from the WD drive?

Please download Testdisk for Windows v6.14. Uzip the testdisk to a folder on your desktop and double click the Testdisk executable. Follow the steps here but only do a Quick Search. After the Quick search you should see a number of partitions. Highlight each one and then Press the "P" key. Are your files listed?

If they are, you can select files and folders using the ":" key and the upper case "C" key to copy the files. The default location for recovery is the folder you launched Testdisk from.

#3 RoninDK

RoninDK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:48 AM

Hi JohnC

Thanks for your assistance.

Unfortunately I still have not seen any of my files yet.

I followed your instructions and found 4 partitions on disc P:

MS data - sector start 34 sector end 1999993 sector size 1999960

MS data - sector start 2000001 sector end 12000000 sector size 10000000

Linux swap - sector start 12000003 sector end 13999978 sector size 1999976

MS data - sector start 14000001 sector end 3890624896 sector size 387662489

In the first partition (sector start 34) I can see a number of files or directories. I could guess the first 2 were directories. Their (both) names appear to be: drwxr-xr-x. In the very rightside of the screen for the 2 first it says "." and ".." respectively (content indication possibly?)

The next is *drwx------- . In the very right it says "lost and found"

The others below could be files all starting with *-rw-r--r-- and they all have different names/indications/contents in the very right of the screen, namely:
u.boot.buffalo
conf_save.tgz
uImage.buffalo
initrd.buffalo
log.tgz
hddroots.buffalo.updated.do

It looks as if I can't dig deeper into any of the above files/directories.

This was all what is in the first partition starting in sector 34. 

The 3 other partitions write "Suppport for this file system has not been enable during compilation".

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:22 PM

I would scan the drive with Easeus Data Recovery. It has been posted here that is does a good job of retrieving files. It will let you retrieve 1GB for free and after that you will need to purchase a key.

Was there a linux OS on the hard drive?

#5 RoninDK

RoninDK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 04:39 PM

My hard drive is/was a WD Linkstation 2 TB. Do these things have an OS? How do I find out?

#6 RoninDK

RoninDK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:02 PM

hi JohnC

I took out the HD from the linkstation based on some advise on the internet I found. 

It contains a (normal looking) WD 2TB HD.

I'll try Easeus and see what happens.

Thanks again for your advise.

br

Jørn

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:16 PM

Any luck ?

Louis