Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mystery dot in Taskbar!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 Sharon22

Sharon22

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:05 PM

I'm running XP and in the taskbar BEHIND the clock (in the lower right) is a one-pixel grey dot!

I clicked "Toolbar Properties" and removed the clock so I could have a closer look.

It is a one-pixel grey dot, and I want to get rid of it.

I'm assuming that instead of a full-sized icon (like all my other applications in the taskbar (or "system tray" as some call it), the Application's Developer chose to make it a one-pixel gray dot to make it "inconspicuous," which is what concerns me!

Question(s):

1.) How do I find out what the icon is for?

2.) Is there a "scientific" way to find a "list" somewhere of all of the shortcuts are in my taskbar (so I can browse the list and locate the Mystery Application). Maybe there's some list somewhere in my registry of what applications are in the task bar. Maybe not, I don't know.

Of course, my first reaction was to try Clicking on it -- but nothing happens. The dot is too small. I spent an hour trying to position my mouse cursor on the dot, but could not click on it.

What is this grey dot in my taskbar system tray?

Thank you!

Edited by hamluis, 15 November 2014 - 12:38 PM.
Moved from XP to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:11 PM

Hi Sharon22 and Welcome to BleepingComputer. 

:welcome:

I am curious about it as well.  Someone else may already know the answer, but I am going to log into another laptop tomorrow at work which is still running XP and take a look myself.  

I wanted to ask if you would mind grabbing a screenshot of the issue and host the image so that you can post a picture here? 

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:16 PM

Right click in the System Tray and select Customize Notifications. It will show the current items listed.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,814 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:19 PM

G'day Sharon...Welcome mate.

I am going to go with a dead pixel. ( i have no idea what one looks like ....but that is what first sprung to mind )

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 Sharon22

Sharon22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:04 PM

Hi, thank you for replying. No, it's not a dead pixel -- it's actually a 2px square (with a 3D highlight-and-shadow effect). I couldn't get a "screen shot" because my software won't take a photo of the taskbar, so I actually took a camera photo. I don't know how to upload a photo here, so I posted it on the internet here: http://postimg.org/image/vpe18giux/

If I can figure out how to upload a photo directly to this page, I'll come back and edit my post (but, maybe because I'm new to the forum, it won't allow me to directly upload photos here).

Thank you.

#6 Sharon22

Sharon22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:06 PM

Oh cool! Guess what I did! In my previous post, I couldn't figure out how to upload the photo here, so I actually did a trick -- I made my PROFILE PHOTO (to the left) my photo of the mystery dot! (I'm so smart :-)

Hmmm.. just now, I think I figured out how to upload the photo here.... if you see it here, that means I successfully added it:

Attached File  mystery_dot.jpg   13.55KB   0 downloads

Edited by Sharon22, 03 November 2014 - 11:12 PM.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:47 PM

I've looked at both your images - and there shouldn't be any other markings / icons directly in the clock area. The notification icons are off to the left of this. I don't want to sound silly - not that that is going to stop me - but could it it be merely some mark, dirt or stain on the screen which is giving this coloured effect because of the light shining through it ?

Chris Cosgrove

#8 Sharon22

Sharon22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:31 PM

No.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:58 AM

I can't tell from that picture but it sure looks something like a couple of dead pixels. If you push very lightly on the spot the the shape change? Did this just recently happen?

To get a better look at the dot, make a screenshot of the section. Press Shift+PrtScrn. Open Paint and Edit > Paste the Screenshot into Paint. Crop the System Tray and resize it larger then attach the image.

The XP image resizer Power Toy make it easy to resize your image.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/xp-downloads#2TC=powertoys

#10 Sharon22

Sharon22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:29 PM

Please, for goodness sake, it is not a dead pixel. I do appreciate the replies, but I am not even going "to go there" trying to explain why it's not a dead pixel (other than to point out I'm not a complete MORON) :-)

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:02 AM

Can you post a Screenshot of the object using the process in my post so I can get a better look at it? I can't see it very well in your photo. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 November 2014 - 08:02 AM.

#12 Sharon22

Sharon22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:14 PM

Let's close this topic -- it's become a "dead end" where people ask what I've ALREADY answered ("maybe it's a dead pixel"), and ask me to do ridiculous things:

"Would you please post a screenshot during a full moon?"

So, go pick on someone else.

I'll figure it out myself.

Bye.

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,912 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:41 PM

I'm sorry you should feel that way Sharon22. We are not here to belittle anyone. Rather we are here to assist people with their computer problems in the best way we can.

Please note that I have just now used the Print Screen method of creating a snapshot of the windows screen, and doing so did show the clock and task bar.

Surely it won't hurt anything to do that and post a new image? Please recall that we are not at your computer monitor and do not see what you see.

Note, in order to attach an image in this forum, you will need to click on More Reply Options.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:53 AM

Maybe trying to launch full screen (Fn + F11) to remove the grayish clock area just in case... or use a different monitor to confirm the problem on either end.

Tekken

#15 Sharon22

Sharon22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:16 AM

Dear All Of You,

Hello, you are all very kind for taking the time out of your day to help me. But for the LOVE OF ALL THINGS MARTIAN it is not a f**ing dead pixel

Otherwise:

a.) It would be there during my login screen

b.) It would be in the same place when I change resolutions

c.) It would stay put when I change operating systems (boot from other drive)

d.) your mom dresses you funny

Okay, now that's outta the way, you want me to POST A PICTURE? Are you freeeeeking KIDDING ME? Please read this thread, I spent nearly a DAY out of my boring, listless, dull, miserable, grouchy life to get a really good pic uploaded.

Scroll up to Post Number 6 in this thread. And you'll see that you MISSED my post, and I'm not the only one in the world that doesn't read things thoroughly because I am lazy as a donkey.

Now.... regarding the very nice person in Post Number 3 "simply right click and select notifications...." Um, er, ermmmm, well, there IS NO "CUSTOMIZE NOTIFICATIONS" in my Right Click window. There's retarded stuff like "Tile Windows Horizontally," (good god WTF.... they created WindowsXP right after they proudly invented the 8-digit calculator), and "Properties," so there's no "Customize Notifications." 

I think "Me thinks" what would help is [edit - i just erased Throw F'n computer off of cliff] is if some nice person out there can tell me Where Windows XPeePee stores a LIST of programs that I have in the Taskbar. Then, maybe then, I'll see something like

a.) Explorer

b.) Email

c.) Russian Federation Hacking Back Door Mechanism

d.) Firefox

e.) etc.

And then I can go "A-ha! I will now uninstall Firefox."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users