Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Build A Gaming PC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ohwell

ohwell

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:30 PM

Hi All,

I want to build my grandson a Gaming PC, I have built others in the past but a good few years ago now. I have never before built a gaming m/c. So I am a bit in the dark about what goes with what. Below is i think a list of the items I will need, I have a budget of £700.00, so I know it will not be a top of the range job. If I have missed anything off, please add it on. Thank you very much in advance:

The List

Case - I already have one.
Full ATX Motherboard
CPU
16 GB RAM
GPU
HDD
??SSD??
700W PSU
Keyboard
Gaming Mouse
DVD Writer
Speakers
64 bit OS
Wireless Card
Joypad/Stick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:36 PM

Since this is for your grandson I'd go with a HDD or a hybrid drive, not an SSD.  A HDD will give him more space at a lower cost to you.

Do you need wireless if you're building a desktop?  Some motherboards actually have it built in.  I'd recommend a USB dongle. If your grandson is anything like my son he'll find a way to break the antena off an internal card.

#3 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:32 AM

Just make sure the case is decent. You want to have decent air flow and you don't want a really cheapo or cramped case because it will make building the computer a pain.

You might as well get the latest windows 8, i guess it's 8.1. Kids seem to be fine with it, and it does have the best gaming support going forward.

Counterpoint to Kilroy, an SSD gives much faster game loading times, so that's something to consider. In 2015 I wouldn't really consider a computer to be a gaming computer without an SSD. Depends on budget of course. You would still need another HD to go with it or space will be an issue sooner than later.

I recommend wired mouse, keyboard and gamepad. Because I find wireless stuff causes problems in games, either because of delays, interference or batteries dying.

Also wired network is better for gaming if at all possible. Most people would say I am too picky about that though.

Depending on what you already have with the case, you may need to buy another case fan. I forgot to on my last build and had to go back out and get one.

You didn't list a monitor

#4 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:20 AM

To add:
> be sure that you have atleast one chasis fan (two is better).
> You must check if the power supply is enough to take the GPU. (700W is okay)
> Most GPU cards have HDMI ports available, so you can even connect to your TV if supported. ( Pick a 17in or higher monitor from dell or samsung or sony )
> What CPU/ Processor do you plan to get? That influences a lot the motherboard you will choose.
> While buying a gaming mouse, let it be wired, be sure to check its response rate and resolution.
> Also most new motherboards support USB 3.0 and some come with built in bluetooth, wifi, Overclocking profiles and fail safe bios. Choose according to the budget.
I would suggest to go for intel 3 rd or 4 th gen i5 or i7 processor if you choose intel , asus / gigabyte / asrock motherboard, western digital harddisk, AMD / Nvidia GPU with minimum 1GB (A lot of vendors like MSI, Asus etc provide custom cards) , Windows 7 Pro or Windows 8.1 pro (check out the deals at trustable sites, you can grab one at lowest rate). Speakers 2.1 will be nice, but can opt for a higher one if possible. Lastly, be sure to have a good security software like Norton / Bit defender.
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users