Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Gigabyte MB fails no video 2 long 1 short beeps

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 twegner

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:49 AM

I was away three weeks, and when I returned and started the computer, I heard beeps, but after a bit of trying the computer did boot. Worked fine for the rest of the day. The next day I get only beeps, computer would not boot, no video, only beeping

The motherboard is Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H, Award dual bios

Using internal video, no video card.

Beeps are 2 long and 1 short. (Looked it up, this combination is not documented). Google turned up a few people who observed 2 long 1 short beeps, but no helpful information

What I have tried (no success or change):

1. put in video card.  (though how this would work I don't know since I can't get to bios to deactivate internal video).

2. Removed and re-seated two memory sticks

3. Removed boot SSD

I plan to:

1. buy power supply tester, test power supply

2. Disconnect everything

I have had this computer for a few years. Not a problem to get a new MB, just want to make sure I try to debug first. Would appreciate any suggestions, and in particular what 2 long 1 short beeps means.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Torvald

• Members
  • 364 posts
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:13 PM

For what it's worth, here's a link to the user manual for your computer:

Sorry, but I did not see a beep code of 2 long and 1 short listed in the manual.  Could it possibly be 1 long and 2 short?  If so, that would point to your monitor or graphics.  Have you checked your BIOS to ensure the internal video is turned on instead of looking for an add-on card?  Have you checked the monitor cable connections?  Tried a different monitor?

P.S. Just noticed your comment about being unable to get into BIOS.  You might try replacing your CMOS battery; it's inexpensive and easy to replace - and if it's gone bad, it could easily be preventing you from going into BIOS or booting.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#3 twegner

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:40 PM

Hi Torvald, thanks for responding.

Yes I have the manual and (as I said) two long and one short beeps  is not documented. Definitely two very long beeps followed by one half as long. The reason I cannot get into the bios is that video does not work. But I tried your suggestion with the battery. I took it out and it was a little low (2.8 volts). So I replaced it. with a new one, but no improvement.

Additional information. I took the two sticks of main memory out, and no change. I guess that means the memory is not causing the beeps since the beeps are the same with no memory! Also, the one sign of life is that the fans all work when I turn on the computer.

I am rapidly reaching the conclusion that something is seriously wrong with the motherboard. However, I have yet to  try taking everything out.

Thanks. Still open to suggestions, but in a day or two I will be buying a newer motherboard and hoping I can get my boot SSD to work with it.

Edited by hamluis, 04 November 2014 - 12:06 PM.
Removed quotebox - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users