Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my MoBo dying?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:57 AM

Hi guys,

here it is my problem: this morning my pc was louder than usual, CPU fan was spinning at more than 4500 RPM due to a high CPU temperature (51° C). I removed the side panel of the case and the 12mm fan on the back (connected to the MoBo) wasn't spinning. I turned the machine off and connected the fan to the PSU directly. At reboot the fan was spinning again and CPU temp. is around 46° C now.

I have experinced very low system performances lately (e.g. it takes several minutes to open a USB thumb drive and CPU goes up to 50%, slow in booting Windows, slow in starting various software, etc...).

Does it look like my MoBo is dying?

It's a Asus A8N32-Sli Deluxe (my OS is Windows XP).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:49 PM

Hello,

I may be able to provide some simple advice on your situation.  If not, the more experienced members here will step in to help out.  In order for us to help diagnose your system and provide advice we will need you to provide some basic info, using the following instructions:

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, following the instructions at the following site- http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Please also download the MiniToolBox program from the following location: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/search/?keyword=minitoolbox   save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size

List Minidump Files

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#3 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:33 PM

Hi Torvald,

I already have been asked the same in a thread a few months ago, the problem is that Speccy and MTB output partially in my language  (which is not English).

Do you want me to post what you requested anyway?

#4 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:34 PM

You might want to post the Speccy info, as I might be able to view some basic readings from it.

You can skip the MiniToolBox info, since it won't be in English.

#5 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:01 PM

Speccy Output

#6 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:14 PM

Speccy does not appear to show anything unusual for your computer system, so I'm not sure what to recommend.

Your C: hard drive with your Windows install is reported as 465 GB capacity; how much free space do you have left over on that?  The reason I ask is that you'll need to keep at least 10-15% free space on your main drive for Windows to operate normally.

Have you checked the insides of your computer lately to blow out any loose dust, made sure all fans are running properly, and all cables are connected tightly?

#7 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:13 PM

I have two drives:

1 x 500GB

1 x 1TB

The smaller one is partitioned:

C: ~93GB (41% free space)

D: ~373GB (6% free space)

Windows is installed in C:.

Have you checked the insides of your computer lately to blow out any loose dust, made sure all fans are running properly, and all cables are connected tightly?

Yes.

Up to when I started the thread I had never experienced a non-spinning fan issue.

Thanks anyway Torvald, let's see if somebody else can help.

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:47 PM

it takes several minutes to open a USB thumb drive and CPU goes up to 50

You may have a bunch of adware and foistware loading and you don't know it.

Download JRT and AdwCleaner; run both. Read the directions on the download page of each one. If after that you still have problems, I suggest posting in the Malware removal forum. You may have a trojan loading in the background which is slowing your computer. If none of that helps post back and we can start searchin for a hardware problem.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 The Man from Oahu

The Man from Oahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:04 AM

Hi, here I am again.

I didn't post anymore because shortly after my last visit my pc died.

The PSU is probably gone, anyway I think it's better to start a specific thread.

Thanks to all who helped here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users