Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

external monitor not working when GPU drivers are installed (asus uxe31e laptop)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Deadsword

Deadsword

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:16 AM

I have an asus zenbook uxe31e, it was hit hard and it's display won't work (showing random whitish patterns).
the GPU is Intel HD Graphics 3000.

I am trying to connect it to an external monitor but I am having trouble(the pc was formatted recently so there is almost nothing installed on it):

the external monitor i'm connecting it to (through a mini Hdmi to Hdmi cable) is a sony Bravia KDL-32L4000 TV , and it does work (i.e. windows recognize it as the main and only monitor) in "safe mode" and does work when I uninstall the graphic card driver and reboot.

but after installing the drivers it just won't work- I reboot and windows recognize the external screen for a brief moment when loading windows but then it switches to the laptop screen and nothing seems to make it switch to the external monitor - the fn+f8 doesn't work (it does weird stuff, it seem to work switching from the external monitor to the laptop monitor (with no drivers) but the other way it doesn't seem to respond at all.
I also tried to blindly enter the screen resolution windows using the tab, arrows and enter keys, and tried switching to the external monitor but i'm not sure how the windows are shaped when the drivers are installed so I could be not hitting the right keys for changing displays.

I installed the ATKPackage for the function keys but it's the same, only switching from external to laptop and not the other way.

after couple of hours trying stuff I thought I could use some help smile.gif

* what could cause the drivers to not recognize the screen (if it is the case) , and maybe installing old drivers could fix this?

* if the problem is just that i can't see what i'm doing but it's possible to change to the external monitor, any way of doing that? building a macro to do so? any other way to force it , there must be something no? maybe some kind of command? or taking control of the computer from another one? 

what can I do to make it work guys? thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Deadsword

Deadsword
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:53 AM

what do you think of just disconnecting the laptop screen? like opening the case the disconnecting the lcd cable like in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNN54CURN3U#t=97

the external connection should still work right?

#3 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 03:21 PM

Since your external display works in Windows Safe Mode, it is probably just a video drivers problem.

If you've just re-installed Windows 7 64-bit, then go here to download the applicable drivers directly from ASUS:  http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ZENBOOK_UX31E/HelpDesk_Download/

NOTE:  You will want to install the chipset driver first, then any other drivers (including VGA) afterwards.

P.S.  What was the reason you formatted and re-installed Windows?

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#4 Deadsword

Deadsword
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:19 AM

Wow nice, didn't know I have to install the chipset (what exactly is it's purpose?) I thought windows install automatically all that is needed. I'll try it first thing when I'm home. tnx!

The reason for formatting is that the laptop belonged to a friend who gave it to me since he has nothing to do with a screenless laptop while I do.

ok so I installed the chipset, restarted, installed asus VGA drivers but it's still the same problem, no recognition of the screen.

any other ideas? =)

Edited by Deadsword, 04 November 2014 - 10:32 AM.

#5 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:46 PM

Since you've already tried the function + f8 key, what you could try next is when you push the power button, close the laptop's lid right away; the laptop should then use the external monitor instead of the laptop monitor. This doesn't always work, but give it a try.

P.S.  Did you say that the external display works with just a generic Windows video driver installed, but that it won't after you install an updated video driver?

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#6 Deadsword

Deadsword
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:43 PM

tried that as well, also opened the laptop cover and disconnected the LCD connector, but to no avail.

My next move is installing windows 8, do you think it can help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users