Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External drive corrupt/unreabable

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 broonster

broonster

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:58 AM

the short story is. i was using ...

WinToFlash - Install Windows from usb

on my 500gb ext drive.  after 20 mins the program just stopped responding.

explorer (xp) also stopped responding. so i did a quick reboot to stop the agony.

now when the drive is plugged in, explorer just hangs and freezes cold.

i tried using partition master to reformat the drive, but that program also crashes.

Can my Drive be rescued or do i throw it in the trash?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:42 AM

Hello,

First of all – by no means throw it in the trash yet, but you might have corrupted some files or the whole file system by restarting the PC during write process. Can you name the brand of your external hard drive? Have you tried plugging it in another USB port or in a different computer? Try to run the OS in Safe Mode and check the drive - if you are able to access it at any point – first do a backup of your data, if it's important. Than I would suggest you try to run your manufacturer's diagnostic tool and post results here (if any errors show up).
Also, here are links with detailed descriptions on how to format a hard drive:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/formatting-disks-and-drives

Feel free to ask further questions, Citizen_WD

#3 broonster

broonster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:13 AM

thanks for the detailed response..

1.western digital passport usb

2.yes, tried 2 other ports, but not another p.c

3. did as you suggested, booted in safe mode. the drive shows in device manager but not in my computer' as any external hard disk. found new hardware' also doesn't show. the drives led just keeps blinking, it stops occasionally then continues to blink..-..

before using WINTOFLASH i transferred all my files to another drive, so no problem there.

like i said, while it's plugged in, explorer freezes, in fact my p.c wont boot if it's plugged in.

4.i know about formatting, i'ts a shame device manager doesn't have this option.. i will try my manufacturer's diagnostic tool like you said,

thanks again for your time.  

#4 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:05 AM

Hi again, 

I'm giving you a link to WD Data Lifeguard diagnostic tool: 

I'd advise you to run both QUICK and EXTENDED tests and post results in order to determine the problem. Does the explorer freeze in safe mode ? 

If DLG recognizes the drive and it doesn't show any hardware malfunctions – you can go ahead and  write zeros to the drive. Alternatively, you can try formatting it from another PC, if Disk Management recognizes it. 

Best regards, Citizen_WD

#5 accuratecomputer

accuratecomputer

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:43 AM

Hello, no need to trash your HDD, some system files might be corrupted or deleted. So try to run your OS in safe mode and recover the files else install a fresh copy of OS again.

#6 broonster

broonster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:07 AM

Hi again, 

I'm giving you a link to WD Data Lifeguard diagnostic tool: 

I'd advise you to run both QUICK and EXTENDED tests and post results in order to determine the problem. Does the explorer freeze in safe mode ? 

If DLG recognizes the drive and it doesn't show any hardware malfunctions – you can go ahead and  write zeros to the drive. Alternatively, you can try formatting it from another PC, if Disk Management recognizes it. 

Best regards, Citizen_WD

i downloaded Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows, installed it ,but the program failed to run.

so i tried the Disk Management route. i was happy to see the drive as well as a format option.!(also noted that the drive status was healthy - just no drive letter assigned)

when i chose format ..my p.c inevitably began to hang & hang..

during my frustration i remembered that if the drive was readable it should show up in my xp installation disk!

why not, no explorer or other apps fighting for ram, just dos. .so i popped it in, like i was going to do a fresh install. it showed up! i hit delete partition - it then showed up as raw.

i rebooted & the drive was visible, windows prompted that the drive was unformatted.. BINGO.!

Thank you so much for your sustained help & guidance.

i would of thrown the thing out like 3 day old lasagna. :lmao:

#7 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:54 AM

I'm glad that your issue is resolved, feel free to ask further questions if you need help or advice.

Best regards, Citizen_WD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users