Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forgetting Passwords?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:14 AM

I was just reading about people forgetting passwords etc, so thought I'd share this simple tip.

I keep a couple of cheap notebooks by my PC. One to record passwords and sites that I join, and I use one as a computer diary where I enter the date and items that I download or install that day(makes things a lot easier if something plays up later on).

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:37 AM

A very good idea. Keeping passwords and usernames in a separate and secure location makes a great deal of sense, as does having a record of applications, etc. you install (and links to the source should you ever need it later).
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 LaChica

LaChica

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 11:51 PM

I should do that
i was just keeping all my passes/usernames in my folder for email
Posted Image

#4 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:14 AM

Hello,

I agree, it is better to have some sort of physical record for registrations and such, then to totally rely on your computer for saving the information. I can't stress this enough to people that I help with computer issues.

Personally, I printed out some simple charts, consisting of four columns and about 30 rows on each page, in which I enter data such as the WebSite, Username, Password and eMail address used. I also print out a copy of the confirmation eMail I recieve from each registration, and place it in the same binder along with my charts with the registration entries. This suggestion might be a bit overkill, but it is how I keep organized.

I started using a binder instead of a notepad because my wife and daughter would occasionally grab it while using the phone, and either scribble, color and basically deface it. Because of this, I went and bought a "Hot Pink" 3 ring binder, and a hole punch, and it hasn't been touched since.

I have a friend that takes a screenshot of confirmation pages for each site that shows the information, and fits as many of the screenshots as possible on to a sheet of paper, and prints them out. It actually works out pretty nice, but each to his own, as I will probobly continue my method :thumbsup: .

nos :flowers:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:17 AM

Hi La Chica.

Welcome. Keep browsing around and I'm sure you will find heaps of useful stuff here at BC. I know i've had a great time in the last few months. Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 LaChica

LaChica

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:10 AM

thaxs for the welcome

i think i will find tips that r very useful to me later
Posted Image

#7 socom 004

socom 004

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:39 PM

I've been keeping info like that in some notebooks and it was fine until today. I have a grand-daughter,only 13 yrs old, That has been on sites such as: MySpace, Bebo, and Skype. All stuff she shouldn't be on. I used the prental control and locked her off of the sites so while I was at work and my wife was taking a nap, the little sneak went thru my stuff and found my password. She got on the sites using my account. Now I need to figure out how to change my password and if changing the pw will effect anything on the computer.
HP Pavillion a1723w, 820 dual-core processor, 250 G hard drive, 3 G RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D
Altec Lansing Sound Speakers

#8 LaChica

LaChica

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:49 PM

socom 004 maybe you should get a diary
you could keep the key to the lock on your keychain with all the other keys (car, house, etc.)
Posted Image

#9 socom 004

socom 004

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:03 PM

I guess I need to do that as soon as I figure out the sequence of changing the password. I never thought she would snoop thru my stuff but these kids are desperate to get on these sites. I found out that as soon as someone signs on to the bebo.com it pours your whole address book into their system. Talk about spam...I get all kinds of it now.
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:54 PM

socom 004,
Since she evidently doesn't respect your rules, you could ban her from using your computer, by password protecting it.
If your afraid she'll find it, you can always pull the power cord and take it with you. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 socom 004

socom 004

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:12 AM

Good idea...I'll take it with me and blame her for taking it(lol).

#12 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:26 PM

I have a bulletin board next to my computer desk and it is full of post-it notes with usernames and passwords. This way when I need to know what they are I don't have to open a book or look through my emails to try and find it, I just glance to my left!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#13 arcxotek

arcxotek

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:51 PM

I actually have a tablet of graph paper that I record all of my administration passwords and information on for my router, firewall, server etc. But other than that I usually just remember them in my head. I actually organize my passwordsi nto a sort of hierarchy. For example...

Level 1:
-Passwords to things I don't really care about such as a free online gaming account.
-4-6 characters in length, and 1 password for all instances.

Level 2:
-Things that are of a medium level of importance to me. Forums, or my aim / msn / xfire accounts.
-6-8 characters in length, and 1 password for all instances.

Level 3:
-Things I need to keep relatively secure. My email and any administrator level accounts for webhosting etc.
-10-14 characters in length including numbers, and capitol and lowercase letters.
-A different password for each unique instance.

Like I said earlier, I remember all of these passwords in my head but I do have them written down incase I suffer from amnesia one day. I not only write them down and hide the notebook but I keep them stored on other electronic devices that never leave my side. Such as my cell phone. I never do that with the equivalent of my level 3 passwords though just b/c something about it seems insecure to me. lol

Hope my crazy password tip helped you. Oh and I actually have more than 3 levels (I beleive I have 16 passwords total) but I was just giving you 3 levels as an example. Enjoy!

-Arcxotek-

#14 LaChica

LaChica

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:22 AM

ummm now that u remind me i forgot my computer's password but i dont need it to log in i just forgot it since i never needed to put it in. I hope i put a hint.
Posted Image

#15 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:26 AM

Hello,

This thread gave me an idea, and now I have found my new method of manageing my password.

I now have a background image on my Desktop, listing in alphabetical order, all my login and password information. So, if I need a password, I press the Windows Key+D and I can see the information I need, Quickly.

Those who are not using a sandalone system may not want to use this method, unless you are willing to put in the extra effort to conciel your Background image from the rest of the users.

It is really easy to update to. No harder than grabbing a pen and writing it down. I use Photoshop, and I can actually print out the list as text, which is a must.

I also made a little Flash 8 tool, that is the size of a thumbnail on my desktop, but on rollover it reveals a copy of my passwords for view, and with the addition of an icon in my quick launch bar, I just click that if I don't feel like pushing WinKey+D.

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users