Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Change Harddrives

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff777

Geoff777

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 02:39 AM

Hi all.

I have been given an old DAN computer : 2Gb Quantum fireball, model No. 1.2s, 2.1s, 3.2s Harddrive
200Mhz cpu
90 something? Mb Ram
Asus PA -P55T2P4 motherboard

The Quantum is plugged into a card?? with the following number on it:
FCC ID: FGT2940AU

The computer has no OS on it, and when it boots up no HD is found.
I want to remove the Quantum and relace it with an old Seagate U4 model ST34311A 4.3Gb,
that has Win 98 on it. However, the pins at the rear of both drives differ and therefore the ribbon will not fit

How can l install the seagate directly to the mobo?
Does anyone know what the mysterious card is, The FCC one??
Can i directly connect the Seagate to the motherboard? if so where?
If anyone can answer these questions, and offer any other advice l would really appreciate it.

Many thanks
Geoff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:38 AM

Hi everyone,

in addition to my last post, on further investigation :thumbsup:

The computer also has a yamaha CDReWrite drive, and an iomega jaz 1Gb drive.
So, to summarise, l now know l have:

1. A SCSI (scuzzy) card. The FCC ID: FGT2904AU
2. A Yamaha drive (SCSI device)
3. A iomega jaz 1Gb drive (SCSI device)
(all which seem to be functioning ok??)
4. A Quantum fireball 2GB Harddrive.

These devices have all been "daisychained" to the card.

If l can get the Quantum to work with win 98, (XP would be better), l would be sooooo happy.

Otherwise l shall have to remove or dissconnect the jaz and replace the yamaha ( l have a spare CDRdrive)

Any advice would be appreciated

Many thanks
Geoff

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 01:50 PM

Are you saying that all the drives are SCSI and are daisy-chained to a SCSI controller card ?

The Seagate drive is an IDE type and connects with a high speed (66MHz) cable (80 wire) directly into the motherboard. Many IDE cables have one pin position in the middle of the connector filled in. If the drive and/or the motherboard connector have a pin in that position then that pin may be *carefully* clipped on the drive and motherboard connector.

You will need to identify the SCSI controller model. Is there a message flashed on the screen right after power-on that indicates this, perhaps Adaptec ?

There is no chance that Win XP will run acceptably with a 200MHz processor. Even Win 98 will be slow.

#4 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:41 AM

Hi Pascor,

I have won :thumbsup:

Thanks for your reply.
The Quantum, Yamaha and iomega are daisied to an SCSI card.
I also have a CDRom drive and floppy that are connected to the Asus mobo.
I have connected the seagate to the mobo and configured it via th bios as master.
The seagate already had win 98 on it, and l upgraded that to XP, which runs absolutely fine :flowers:
It was Adaptec controlled.
THe bios was set to boot from SCSI and not IDE, so l swapped this and all is well.
Except :trumpet: In my computer the Yamahe drive appears 8 times. If l uninstall the other 7
all is ok. But when l reboot they all come back. Oh well! at least it works.

Many thanks
Geoff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users