Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has Spybot gone rogue?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Edes

Edes

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:56 PM

I have used an early free version of Spybot Search and Destroy and decided to update to the newest version.  However, when I started to install it, I became suspicious.  To begin with, it gave me a choice of what to install but all were pre-checked.  The first was   “ Files essential for all operations”.   That made sense and I left it checked.

However, when I tried to uncheck the others, only 3 could be unchecked. Something smells and it isn't sweet. 

Edes

Edited by Queen-Evie, 02 November 2014 - 07:21 PM.
moved from General Chat to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,124 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:33 PM

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D (or Ad-Aware) due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products). Further, most people don't understand how to use Spybot's TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

To be fair, there are now new versions of Spybot such as Spybot 2 + AV (Home & Pro) and Spybot 2 Free but I have not used them, nor read any reviews as to how well they perform. However, with most free software these days, it is not uncommon to find options pre-checked by default during installation.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Mrs.minmn

Mrs.minmn

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:38 PM

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D. . . .  Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

Do you have a list of 3 or more tools that do a better job? 

Presently, we have Spybot, Malwarebytes and our AVG internet security.   What could Spybot be replaced with to do a better job. Thx :)

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,124 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:45 PM

IMO, more effective alternatives are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Emsisoft Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware Free.

#5 Edes

Edes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:44 AM

I  should also mention that in the installation process, one of the things that must be added is "More various helpful tools".  It does not say what they are or who they help.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,124 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:57 AM

Spybot Search and Destroy 2.0 has bloatware issues

Spybot Search and Destroy is another candidate that I have been using back in the days. Back then it was an efficient cleaner that removed lots of adware and spyware that many professional solutions did not detect...Spybot Search & Destroy 2.0...has a download size of 52 Megabytes, which feels like a lot for a once lean and clean program. You quickly now why when you look at the components that it will install on your system if you do not select the custom installation option during installation. Note that all features together require more than 133 Megabyte on your hard drive...

Here is what you get among other things:
* Background scan services
* Plugins for installed web browsers
* Various helpful tools
* Professional tools (which seem to include Phone Scan, Boot CD Creator, OpenSBI Editor, Scripting and Repair Environment)
* Analyst tools
* Background update service

The program installs two background processes that are running all the time, SDTray.exe and SDWelcome.exe. Scans spawn a third process SDScan.exe which may use a serious amount of memory. Yes, that is more than 500 Megabyte for that process alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users