Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GOOD REGISTRY CLEANER FOR WIN 8?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 angerli

angerli

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:33 PM

Hello, folks,

I may be in the wrong Forum. If so, my apologies. Can anyone recommend a quality Registry Cleaner for Win 8?

Thanks,

Sandy Gerli

Mount Airy NC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:44 PM

It is the opinion of most people that registry tools can be dangerous, find and use at your own risk! 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,039 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:03 PM

This sage advice  comes from quietman7, Global Moderator......read carefully and take heed

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=2853053

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:23 PM

It would be a good idea of why you feel a registry cleaner is needed.

#5 brotherboard

brotherboard

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:00 PM

Registry Cleaner for Win 8? Never ever pay good money for one. They are snake -oil. Avoid them.  Even Microsoft dropped support for their own RegCleaner after Win 98.

If one were  needed they would have built one in to recent variations of windows.

In saying that if you absolutely feel the need for some obscure reason to try one, it has to be Ccleaner the only one I would suggest to anyone as it will cause the fewest problems, though not in an inxeperienced  pair of hands.  If you do try any alterations at all BACK UP THE REGISTRY FIRST.

Any speed increase will be imperceptible in normal use.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,039 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:32 PM

This sage advice  comes from quietman7, Global Moderator......read carefully and take heed

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=2853053

AS I SAID....TAKE HEED. 

In other words....leave the registry alone.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,393 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:43 PM

In other words....leave the registry alone.

I agree.

Slightly off topic.

New Linux users be warned.

While Linux hasnt got a windows type registry, (Easiest way to explain it for non Linux users)

The use of "cleaners" such as Bleach Bit and Janitor in Ubuntu tweak  can also damage Linux in some cases.

With cleaning applications like Bleachbit, you easily destroy more than you want. You can't trust them, because before you know it, they remove too much and damage the system.

Besides, they are useless. Linux hardly experiences any pollution. So cleaning is superfluous. You may at most win a couple of hundreds of megabytes disk space, at an unacceptably high risk of damage. Should you wish to clean up a bit anyway, then this is a safe way for Ubuntu and this is a safe way for Linux Mint.

Never use cleaning applications

Been there done that and had to reinstall everything. And NO I did not have backups.

Edited by NickAu1, 03 November 2014 - 08:50 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:26 PM

And since Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners, don't expect them to help if you screw things up using them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,039 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:38 PM

....and just to drive the thumbtack home with a sledgehammer....YES !, that does include CCleaner

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 kaylagarcia

kaylagarcia

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:06 AM

Wise Registry Cleaner is the beat tool that allows users to delete system restore points.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:23 AM

CCleaner and Restore Point Creator will also allow you to remove individual or all System Restore points except the most recent one.

However, deleting individual restore points is not recommended. In fact, Microsoft states this about Deleting a restore point...

You cannot delete an individual restore point, but you can either delete all restore points or all but the most recent restore point...When you delete restore points, previous versions of files are also deleted.

Each one of the system restore points are chained (linked) together with previous restore points. When a restore point is chosen, all restore points created prior to that restore point are also required to complete the restoration. During the process, a log is created or updated that tracks the consistency between the files System Restore is monitoring, and the files that are actually backed up. If an inconsistency is found between the log file and the files located in the SVI folder, restore point corruption can occur. This causes a break in the chain and any prior restore points become useless resulting in System Restore failing to work properly.

Windows will automatically remove restore points on its own. When the allotted disk space is reached the oldest restore point will be purged on a first in first out (FIFO) basis. Otherwise, restore points over 90 days are purged automatically in order to keep the volume's usage within the specified amount. All restore points will eventually be deleted after the time specified in the RPLifeInterval registry setting is reached or earlier if allotted disk space is insufficient so it is not possible to create a permanent restore point. However, you can make System Restore use less drive space

When running Disk Cleanup and choosing the option for System Restore, it specifically states "You can free more disk space by removing all but the most recent restore point." However, you can reduce the amount of space made available to System Restore so there will not be as many Restore points. By default, System Restore is given 12% of the hard disk space when you install Windows XP. To change the amount, right-click on the My Computer icon, select Properties > System Restore Tab, and under Disk space usage, change the Disk space to use to a lower percentage.

Windows will also automatically remove all restore points when you turn off System Restore. If you turn on System Restore immediately after having turned it off, there will only be one newly created restore point. However, turning System Restore off and then turning it back on has some risk associated with it since that feature does not always work as intended. The easiest and safest way to remove restore points is to Create a New Restore Point...then to remove all but the newly created Restore Point, use Disk Cleanup.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 TheAlphaMale

TheAlphaMale

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:31 PM

Don't use registry cleaners ever. Period....

They cause more harm then good 

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:23 PM

Wonder if he got scared off?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,039 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:35 PM

Would you blame him ?

He really set something in motion here....

GcnI1aH.jpg

#15 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:09 PM

Asking for a good registry cleaner is like asking for a good disease, there is no such thing.All registry cleaners are risky ways to do no good for your computer, they will not improve peroformance or prevent crashes rather thyer will make crashes more common and ruin the performance of your system. To speed a system up try clearing temp files and disabling some startup items (but be careful not to disable anuything important), also uninstall programs you do not use and remove bloatware which might have been on the computer when you first got it. Scan for viruses as they can slow things down and also delete some personal files (back them up to several separate dvds, cds or usb drives first)like images, music or videos as habing not enough free space on your harddrive is another cause of poor performance. Avoid tools which claim to boost perfromance(especially those that involve the registry), they do no such thing.

I use CCleaner for it's temp clearing and startup disbaling (but be careful on that) functins but never touch it's dangerous registry cleaning capability. And if your antivirus suggests using performance tools from their company don't fall for that either, who the author is doesn't matter: regsistry cleaners don't work, period. How To Geek has some good articles explaining this.

Edited by rp88, 06 November 2014 - 03:12 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users