Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer turns on but after initial loading screen, screen is empty???

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jasonkrajnak123

jasonkrajnak123

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:30 PM

So one day a week or two ago I turned on my PC to say that it had an issue and it needed the windows installation disk to repair it. So I put the disk into the PC and I clicked repair and it took a long time but it said all issues are resolved. I was happy as I thought I solved my problem, however, to my disappointment I was wrong. The computer reset and I saw the dell logo and the loading bar moving across and everything however after I wait the screen turns black but i can still see my mouse cursor and if I move the cursor around I can see it move but just my wallpaper is not there, the windows bar is not there, my folders and shortcuts aren't there nothing is. I tried pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up task manager but that does not work. I didn't make a backup recently and I put the repair disk back in and I scan for issues and it says there are no issues. I'm at a loss here and I'm desperate. I have all of my photos that I have taken from my vacations over the past 4 years and I can't get to them so I was really hoping that you guys could help me fix my PC. If anyone could  help me I would gladly appreciate it.

Thanks, 

Jason

Also it is probably important to note that I am running the computer on 32 bit Vista and I recently installed a new GPU but it was about 2 weeks after I installed my GPU when this happened. I don't know if the graphics card had something to do with it but I am just saying i

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grooverism

Grooverism

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:39 PM

Hey Jason,

Some times 3rd Party software creates conflict during the startup. 

You can try booting into Safe mode with Networking and disable unwanted 3rd Party Startup Programs and services from MSCONFIG and Task Manager in case of windows 8. You can also run a malwarebytes scan to check for Malwares.

Grooverism

#3 jasonkrajnak123

jasonkrajnak123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:00 PM

Hey Jason,

Some times 3rd Party software creates conflict during the startup. 

You can try booting into Safe mode with Networking and disable unwanted 3rd Party Startup Programs and services from MSCONFIG and Task Manager in case of windows 8. You can also run a malwarebytes scan to check for Malwares.

Grooverism

I can't run in safemode because the same issue happens, just a black screen even though i can see my mouse cursor

#4 Grooverism

Grooverism

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:14 PM

When u see the black screen with mouse cursor, press ctrl+alt+delete and open task manager. Open new task and type Explorer.exe.

This should bring all the icons and desktop back. 

Edited by Grooverism, 02 November 2014 - 07:14 PM.

#5 jasonkrajnak123

jasonkrajnak123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:08 PM

When u see the black screen with mouse cursor, press ctrl+alt+delete and open task manager. Open new task and type Explorer.exe.

sorry i actually made a mistake, when i launch safe mode with networking then i dont see my cursor, my monitor turns on like as if a screen is about to load and then it turns off as if it lost video input and it just keeps on repeating that, i can only see my cursor in normal mode

#6 jasonkrajnak123

jasonkrajnak123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:06 PM

sorry i actually made a mistake, when i launch safe mode with networking then i dont see my cursor, my monitor turns on like as if a screen is about to load and then it turns off as if it lost video input and it just keeps on repeating that, i can only see my cursor in normal mode

okay nevermind, i read somehwere how to fix the display turning on and off and i did that so now i can see the cursor while in safe mode, but when i try to open task manager i see no difference its just a black screen. However when i press shift 5 times to activate sticky keys my computer  makes a sound, i dont know if that is important or not

#7 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:51 AM

Unplug any unnecessary USB devices such as webcams, and especially things like USB thumb drives. If that doesn't help (or if you don't have such devices in the first place), then I would first want to backup your precious files before doing anything else to fix it. The problem may be a simple software (OS, driver) type issue (in which case backing up isn't pressing), but I have seen this happen with dying hard drives too.

Boot your computer to a linux mint cd (you will have to burn this on another working computer), and then in linux you can copy your photos to a USB stick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users