Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High Com Surrogate usage and no longer able to download files from internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 partyonj

partyonj

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:09 PM

I will start out by apologizing for being so stupid.  Anyway . . . my niece called me and said her computer had all but stopped running and she needed help.  I advised her to run Norton Power Eraser.  (Here's the really stupid part) I attached to her computer and used Malwarebytes and HitmanPro to try to clean it up the rest of the way.  While I was attached, it was almost like something had jumped into my system.  My computer began running more and more slowly and Norton 360 indicated high COM Surrogate usage, it also has blocked several attacks including Trojan.Poweliks!gm (it keeps showing up in various .tmp files that have been downloaded to the c:\windows\syswow64 directory), appmgr.dll and cryptbase.dll

Norton Internet Security states that virus was c:windows/syswow64/dllhost.exe.  Currently I have Norton blocking Com Surrogate.

I ran Norton Powereraser on my machine, and it tried to delete appmgr.dll in addition to several other things.  I left appmgr.dll on the system.  I then ran Malwarebytes and HitmanPro, to no avail.  By this time, I can no longer download from the internet.  On another machine, I downloaded Norton's Bootable Recovery Tool.  I ran both tools and nothing was found.

I am using Windows 7 and Norton 360.  Both are on automatic updates.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:39 PM

Repair will require use of tools not allowed in this forum. It will also require expertise in removal of the malware.

Start a new topic after creating a DDS log by following instruction #6 found here: Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

Post the DDS log along with a description of the problem in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs Forum - BleepingComputer.com

Do not bump your topic once it is posted. Wait for a response. It could be a few days.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 partyonj

partyonj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:29 AM

Thanks so much.  I posted my DDS log to Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs Forum - BleepingComputer.com this morning.

Jean

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users