Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer randomly shuts down and restarts on its own

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bravacentauri83

bravacentauri83

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:55 PM

Hello. First time posting on here. I have used the forums for malware/trojan removal guides in the past.

Today I have started to experience issues with my system. It started early afternoon where my computer randomly turned off while I was watching a movie on my USB hard drive. It completely just shut down like if you were holding the power button down for a hard boot. 2-3 seconds later it started back up. I started unplugging extra peripherals thinking a USB port was causing a short. This did not help. The shutdown time is not consistent either. Sometimes it will be 20 min after the last one where it shuts down again. Another time it's maybe 5 minutes. It also varies what I am doing too. It shut down on me watching a live stream on Twitch using Chrome. I have not done any upgrades to my system other than add an internal hard drive a couple months ago. I go into the system event and there is nothing to show.

My specs are as follows. Some of the items are carryovers from prior system builds.

Win 7 64 bit

Core i7 2700k (stock speed)

Corsair H60 watercooler (one of the closed loop, self contained ones)

8gb ram

Asus p8z58 deluxe/gen 3

Siverstone 600w PSU (only carryover item from my last PC).

Samsung 128gb 830 series (os drive)

2tb WD storage drive

Two Seagate USB 3 external drives

Two Dell monitors

Pioneer Blu-Ray Burner

Creative X-Fi sound card

I do not overclock my system. I checked all the connections and nothing was loose. I have my system and peripherals plugged into an APC battery backup that handles up to 700w of power. I ran SMART tests and disk checks for errors. The OS drive was fine. The short tests for the external drives were fine. 

What should I be looking for to help diagnose my issue? Thanks for any assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:55 PM

Sounds like a power supply issue or burnt graphics card. My bet is PSU.

#3 bravacentauri83

bravacentauri83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:58 PM

I was thinking PSU as well. What software is out there that lets me monitor voltages? Does Speed fan do it? I haven't used it in a long time. Only hesitation is that I searched my problem on Google where someone else thought it was PSU related but ended up not being the issue.

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:47 PM

Not sure about software to test PSUs. A voltmeter or a known good power supply to test would be my choice for troubleshooting.

Edited by bludgard, 03 November 2014 - 06:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users