Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stops booting at the boot menu

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gabrown

Gabrown

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:25 PM

My Dell Inspiron 17r – 5721 laptop on boot up will only get as far as the boot up menu page and will not load windows. I have tried doing few thing and different ways to boot with no luck I even tried a DVD that is a rescue disc. Hoping somewhere out there someone will have an easy fix for this problem.
Thank you

Edited by Queen-Evie, 02 November 2014 - 03:41 PM.
edited to delete email address.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:53 PM

Please describe the different ways to boot you have tried so far.  What sort of DVD rescue disk did you try using, and what options on it did you try?

Are you able to boot into Windows Safe Mode?

To enter Windows 7 Safe Mode, turn on or restart your PC.  Just before the Windows 7 splash screen appears, press the F8 key to enter Advanced Boot Option.

Choose Safe Mode.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#3 Gabrown

Gabrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:19 AM

I tried booting from the hard drive, changed it to the cd dvd . I tried running the diagnostic test but that would only go about half way and lock up. I also used the setup to change from hard drive to DVD-CD and even tried changing it to the default setup. The DVD rescue disk was made earlier on that computer, also made a boot & repair disk at that time. Tried both of those DVD's. During the boot the DVD said it was loading window files across the bottom of the computer but that was all it did.

Then I tried the DVD drivers and utilities disk that came with the computer.

I did try to get into safe mode but it wouldn't. A while back the computer started doing this on boot but if I would hit the enter key or use the power switch to reboot after several times it would finally load  windows, that does not work anymore.

Thank you for answering my post, I hope you have some ideas that I can try.

#4 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:05 AM

If you are not able to boot into Safe Mode, or to perform a System Repair, as a last resort, you may have to try restoring your Dell laptop computer to factory settings.  To do that, follow the instructions at this website:  http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/04/DSN_362066/EN

WARNING:  According to Dell, restoring your computer to the factory settings will remove all files and programs except those it came with. You will also lose all personal files, including photos, emails and programs.  If you have any valuable files you need to back up first, you may have to remove your hard drive, place it inside an external USB drive enclosure, then copy the files to another computer.  I’m not very familiar with this process, but I’m sure another forum member will provide that advice if you need it.

Edited by Torvald, 03 November 2014 - 11:05 AM.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users