Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The "Deep Web"... .onion TLD's

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:03 PM

Hi all, I am trying to word this very carefully without breaking the rules of the site, so apologies if i do! 

I was talking to a friend recently regarding what is known as the "Deep Web". After performing a little research it appears that some sites appear to use domains with a TLD ending in .onion for example. How would something like this be setup? I know that .onion is not a valid TLD and if you try to browse any of these sites using a normal browser and connection you cannot gain access. Instead the research I have done states that you need to download variations of other browsers such as Firefox that contain the necessary files and setup to browse said sites.

So how does the user of one particular browser with a specific setup make .onion domains valid? I assume there is some sort of VPN in place when you launch these browsers/setups, but i am just curious as to how this would work exactly.

DNS has always gone a little over my head!! :( 

Any info is much appreciated ! :) 

Let me make it clear that I have no intention of browsing these sites or creating one, I am just curious as to how they are setup.

Thanks again! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users