Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Autorun.inf help please..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gorbalsbhoy

gorbalsbhoy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:42 AM

I have four external drives on my desktop (windows 8.1) all of them have the folder autorun.inf that i cant delete..also all my hard drives in my computer are named local disk instead of what they are really called eg  photography etc,,any ideas guys,been bugging me for ages..

Edited by gorbalsbhoy, 02 November 2014 - 11:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:34 PM

autorun.inf is part of Windows.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 gorbalsbhoy

gorbalsbhoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:16 AM

not on external usb drives as windows is not installed on them..

Its a known problem..

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:32 PM

The autorun files may have been put there by the manufacturer.  I have 2 Toshiba external HDD's and the both came with autorun files.  Have you opened them in Notepad to see what they do?  If you can't delete them you may have to change their permissions first.

Edited by Agouti, 04 November 2014 - 04:33 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:58 PM

By changing names I am assuming you want to change the volume label of the partition.

Type CMD in the search bar and Right Click Run as Administrator. Type the following at the command prompt

label X: volumename

Where X is the drive letter you want to change and volumename is whatever name you want to give to the drive.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:29 PM

The autorun files may have been put there by the manufacturer.  I have 2 Toshiba external HDD's and the both came with autorun files.

That is correct. I have them on both my Toshiba and Wester Digital external drives.

Autorun.inf is a text-based configuration file that provides instructions for the autorun feature and contains instructions for the operating system and many external hard drives...i.e. options for how to view the contents.

Autorun.inf can be exploited to allow a malicious program to run automatically without the user knowing since it is a loading point for legitimate programs. Such an exploit involves malware that modifies/loads an autorun.inf file into the root folder of all drives (internal, external, removable) along with a malicious executable. When removable media is inserted (mounted), autorun looks for autorun.inf and automatically executes the malicious file to run silently on your computer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users