Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD can't boot, Need help please!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JeffF73

JeffF73

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:04 AM

Hello I am helping a friend with their computer, The Laptop will not boot other than into BSOD with this error showing 

File: \Windows\system32\Drivers\aswRvrt.sys

Error Code: 0xc000007b

I have tried:

system restore: not working

system recovery: not working

Windows recovery disk: not working

Safe mode: not working

startup repair: not working

linux mint disk: works

have recovered the data with linux mint

computer came with OEM and no windows activation code

Thank you

Edited by JeffF73, 02 November 2014 - 10:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:32 AM

See if this thread helps: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=120531.0

#3 JeffF73

JeffF73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:44 AM

Hello Allan, Thank you for your reply, that thread leads to black screen with cursor showing, my problem is with the computer booting straight to BSOD nothing else.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:01 AM

Hello Allan, Thank you for your reply, that thread leads to black screen with cursor showing, my problem is with the computer booting straight to BSOD nothing else.

Are you saying as soon as you boot you get a blue screen? At precisely what point? And how did you try system restore?

And you say you tried a "system recovery disk" - is that something supplied by your computer manufacturer? If so, EXACTLY what happens when you boot to it?

#5 JeffF73

JeffF73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:11 AM

I boot the system and see the windows orb logo then get a blue screen, 

I boot the system and press ESC to get the boot menu, then press F11 to get to System Recovery menu, I have chosen to try Recovery, System Restore and from DVD all options restart the computer to BSOD

I tried the system recovery disk I had created from my own system but no its not from the Manufacture of the same system I am working with, does that make a difference? I am still new to Windows 8, but pretty well know my way around computers and this is one weird issue going on here, That I have never had to deal with before.

Edited by JeffF73, 02 November 2014 - 11:16 AM.

#6 JeffF73

JeffF73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:18 AM

Oh and Yes some times it does boot directly to BSOD with out seeing the windows Logo

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:22 AM

Okay, so most times it gets past the POST and to the Windows logo screen, then you get the bsod - probably as Avast tries to load. And if I understand correctly, the system restore disc was created on the same system with which you have a problem, is that correct? If so, can you actually boot to that disc? And if you can, EXACTLY what happens at that point?

#8 JeffF73

JeffF73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:25 AM

I thought I would try something new and I booted into Linux Mint, I went into the directory the awsRvrt.sys file is located and renamed that file to awsRvrt.sys.bak and then restarted the computer and now its finely booted. into windows :) How do i mark this Thread as Solved? Thank you Allan

Edited by JeffF73, 02 November 2014 - 11:34 AM.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:35 AM

Okay, great to hear. What I strongly suggest is that you uninstall Avast and replace it with a different av. Don't worry about marking the thread solved.

#10 JeffF73

JeffF73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:38 AM

I surely will do that asap with uninstalling it. and purchase Kaspersky :) Thank you

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:41 AM

Good move. I've been using KAV on all of my systems for years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users