Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is 4096 NAT sessions?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 raj29

raj29

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:35 AM

Before presenting my question here, I must confess that I have little, if not no, knowledge in computer networking and networking devices. I have recently bought a D Link 2730U Wireless N150 ADSL2+ router for my home use. It has been working perfectly since the very first day, so, I have no issues with it's function. But, it's product specifications says that it is protected by dual active firewall i.e. NAT (maximum 4096 NAT sessions) and SPI. I just want to know what does 'maximum 4096 NAT sessions' actually mean? What will happen after this maximum number of sessions expire? Will my product stop giving firewall protection to my internet connection? I really dont have any idea, so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance to all. :thumbup2:

I am the Saint and the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But don't think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Sword were to speak...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:53 AM

NAT is Network Address Translation.  I would assume this to mean that you can have 4096 (4k) active communications going through the router. I sincerely doubt that you would come even close to using that many in a home environment.  I would also assume that once the communications are no longer active the router would clear the connection and make it available again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users