Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NEED MORE SPACE!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 maske3344

maske3344

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:17 AM

Hello, I am a Youtuber, and I am having a serious problem with my computer drive. It's almost FULL.

I cannot run a channel or two without my drive out of space.

I have been thinking about using online storage, but first, it costs a lot, and second, it can be hacked.

I recently bought a Sandisk USB, but it's only 64GB, and after transferring new folders, it's almost full... :(

There are also external drives, but I am still researching.

Please help me as soon as possible.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ihavanswer

ihavanswer

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:13 AM

you have basically two choices.

You can either get an external hard drive which is a good option, but much slower.  If you get an external hard drive and your computer supports USB 3.0, I would recommend getting a hard drive with USB3 as it will be much faster.

Your other option is to install a second hard drive into the computer, which is slightly more challenging but its not too hard at all.  It will yield much better performance if you go this route.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:27 AM

What exactly are you using this storage for?

If it a backup, using something like Crashplan would help.  They have several security options.

For everything else, you could also use something like OneDrive, either standard or through Office 365, and enable two-factor authentication.

For local backups using multiple PC's, you can also use a Network Attached Storage solution.  For one PC, you can use a USB 3.0 drive.

3939.png

#4 Zcar

Zcar

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:47 AM

I'm another that won't use any of the online storage options.  Sending my data to some unknown entity out in cyberspace is not high on my list of cool things to do.  That said, internal hard drives are pretty cheap nowadays and you can pick up a 1TB drive for around 50 bucks and a 2TB drive for under a hundred.  Not difficult to install one assuming you're using a desktop computer.  Another option would be buying a stack of DVD's and putting your saved videos on disks.  Makes them a bit more involved to access them but it would free up your computer disk space.

#5 maske3344

maske3344
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:26 PM

+ihaveanswer

thank you for the tip.

+BC Advisor

I want to store my videos, pictures, songs, etc. just in case YouTube gets rid of my account for some reason. I saw that happening to some channels, so I am trying to be extra careful.

+Zcar

I found a free, unlimited storage website if you are interested, even though you said you don't trust those sites.

It's called Hive (beta version). It's new.

Here's the link: https://www.hive.im/

Now here are some articles on Hive:

https://torrentfreak.com/hive-a-bittorrent-enabled-unlimited-cloud-storage-sharing-network-130824/

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/free-unlimited-cloud-storage-hive-right/

And I sent a message to Hive on Facebook (I asked them how I can storage so much in Hive):

Hi there, Hive is a remote access devise for your Heating and Hot Water to allow you to control them on the move - William Hive Helper

...I don't quite understand this....do you know what this guy's talking about?

P.S.

Just in case though, I am only uploading little amount in there. AND nothing too important.

#6 Zcar

Zcar

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:23 PM

I can only guess what the guy who replied to you is talking about and it has nothing at all to do with cloud storage.  Maybe you sent a message to the wrong "Hive"?  I reckon you will be ok as long as you're not uploading anything really personal or important and it's stuff you don't care if it winds up on someone else' web page.  Remember that what ever you put out there is no longer under your physical control and if the site is less than honest it could wind up anywhere.  The domain name .im is as far as I know located on the Isle of Man.   

#7 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:04 AM

I would not use any online or cloud storage at all.

If you have a PC, this is a no brainer. Just go buy a 2tb drive (they are always lower cost per TB than the 1tb's) or even 3 or 4 tb's (compare the price per TB) from a major computer parts store (or online)

if you have a laptop, start with an external usb HD. If you end up having really huge space needs and don't want to buy a PC, then you could buy a usb internal hard drive dock and then buy as many internal drives as you want and us the dock with them and store them on a shelf.

Do not leave external drives (or docks) turned on and plugged in all the time. They will endlessly spin heating up the drive and decreasing its life span. Just use it when you're transferring files too or from it. They are not fast enough to do any work ON them such as video editing.

Very important things you should back up (additionally) on a spindle of DVD's, or, I haven't switched to this yet but I'd like to: writeable bluray disks (more feasible if you have a PC to stick a bluray burner into tho because I assume an external bluray burner is too expensive)

#8 TNF

TNF

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:33 AM

Hello, I am a Youtuber, and I am having a serious problem with my computer drive. It's almost FULL.

I cannot run a channel or two without my drive out of space.

I have been thinking about using online storage, but first, it costs a lot, and second, it can be hacked.

I recently bought a Sandisk USB, but it's only 64GB, and after transferring new folders, it's almost full... :(

There are also external drives, but I am still researching.

Please help me as soon as possible.

Thank you.

I'm guessing what you paid for that 64GB USB ($25?)  was about half the price of a full TB external drive.

You can find 1TB USB 3.0 external drives for $50-$55 very often.

People don't typically use flash drives for "storage".. those are for transferring files.

I don't bother with cloud storage at all.... I use external drives for all my storage.

That's my recommendation, but certainly others have good reasons for theirs.

Here is a 1TB for $50.   It's a Matsunichi, but inside is a Seagate Momentus HDD.  Biggest complaint seems to be the short cable.

There are 500GB for less, also.

Plenty of 1TB name brands for $59, just couldn't find anything on sale at the moment.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:31 PM

Platter-based storage, your traditional hard drive, is best for backups since they are reasonably priced and hold large amounts of data.  This is what you should use.  A good backup scheme is to have one local backup, such as keeping a physical copy on a USB drive and put it in a fireproof safe, followed by an offsite copy, such as a hard drive stored in a safety deposit box or with a trusted friend or family member.  This way, if something happens to your home, your data is safe.

Many cloud backup solutions are encrypted, Crashplan does this.  Data sent to them is encrypted before it leaves the PC, and you can use a personal key only you have for decryption, along with a password for program access.

3939.png

#10 maske3344

maske3344
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:01 PM

So the question is: Which company's product (internal and external hard drive) is one of "the safest" to store things in? I know Sandisk is good, but do you recommend others?

Thx.

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:06 PM

And I sent a message to Hive on Facebook (I asked them how I can storage so much in Hive):

Hi there, Hive is a remote access devise for your Heating and Hot Water to allow you to control them on the move - William Hive Helper

...I don't quite understand this....do you know what this guy's talking about?

LOL :hysterical:   That's a different Hive.  They are advertising continuously on TV here in Britain (really annoying ads).  It's something to do with being able to control your central heating from a smartphone...  Nothing to do with online storage unfortunately.

7sbvuf-6.png

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:03 PM

OP has an open malware topic at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/552114/rogue-infection/ and this topic should have been moved to a forum other than System Building (my fault).

This topic is closed, pending notification of closure of the MRL topic and is being moved to the External Hardware forum.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users