Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ati2dvag problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 arc14716

arc14716

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:59 AM

About a week or so ago, I began experiencing problems with my Dell computer.  When I powered it up, it would show a blue screen with an error message saying something was wrong with a file called ati2dvag being stuck in an infinite loop.  There was a stop error message that started with 0x000000EA.  I checked with a friend of mine who said to try updating my video card drivers.  He said go into safe mode, delete the driver I had on it currently, then restart it in normal mode and download the current driver from the videocard maker's website.  My computer has an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT video card in it, so I tried to update it from their website.  No luck there because the error has continued to recur.  I don't know what else to do at this point and the only way I've been able to use my computer is to boot it into safe mode, delete the driver on the computer, restart it in normal mode, let it load up the driver that came with the card, and proceed from there.  Then I turn it off and after a few hours, turn it back on.  Let the computer boot up and then the blue screen comes up with the ati2dvag error.

So, my computer is a Dell Inspiron 530.  It has Windows XP Service Pack 3 loaded on it.  The video card is an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT.  I hope this helps.

I await your reply.  Thank you for your time. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 larry300boom

larry300boom

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:06 AM

can you try to replace the video card or update the driver?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:31 AM

The first thing to do is to stop the restarts.

Boot into Safe Mode and navigate to Disable automatic restart on system failure and choose it.

The computer will now display a BSOD rather than restart.  Copy the error message and post it in your topic.

This computer came with onboard graphics.  Remove the ATI card and run the onboard graphics to see if this resolves the issue.  If it does you probably have a failed graphics card.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 arc14716

arc14716
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:04 AM

The error message refers to file ati2dvag.  It says that the driver got stuck in an infinite loop.

STOP:  0x000000EA (0x8B6E4DA0, 0xB949F60, 0xBA4F3CBC, 0x00000001)

I've tried updating my drivers last week and had no luck.  The same blue screen error message came up, although the stop error message numbers were different.  Anyway, I'll try to update the drivers again.

@Arachibutyrophobia: As for removing the graphic card, I was about to say that the only socket for my monitor cable was on the card itself.  Then I just looked at the back at the computer, and saw there's a plug cover on the back.  I removed the cover and saw another socket that fits my monitor cable.  Could this be where the onboard graphics you mentioned is located?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:10 AM

The VGA socket is in the upper left portion of the rear of the case.  It should be readily visible.

The VGA socket is outlined in red, I have rotated the image so that it is in the position it would be when it is installed.

mboard_zps105e7c46.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users