Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer super slow: Overheating or HDD failure? Or something else?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 TheJs

TheJs

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:16 PM

System Spec:
Laptop Toshiba Satellite L745
Windows 7 64-bit
Intel Core i5 2410M (2.30GHz)
8GB RAM
GT 525M Graphics card
500GB HDD
A little more than 3 years old.

Base observations:
Started about 1 week ago. Basically nearly everything happens 10x slower. Slow to boot, slow to login, slow to load desktop, slow to manuever in Windows explorer. Even opening Google Chrome takes literally 5-10 minutes. Also every few minutes sometimes the computer hangs for 1-3 seconds. Interestingly when Google Chrome has opened,and web browsing is fairly normal except for the sudden 1-3s hangs. About 5 days ago it didn't even manage to get to the desktop. It took forever to log in, the windows toolbar never loaded, no icons either, I shut it down with the power button fearing it was a overheating problem. Didn't try to start the computer until today, opened the window to let cool air in and hopefully cool the laptop.

Supporting observations:
Task manager shows CPU Usage oscillates only between 1-10% despite the programs etc loading slow or trying to transfer files. It occasionally spikes up to 60-80% for like half a second. I downloaded CPUID to check if it was indeed a overheating problem at it shows the CPU at about a constant 55-65 Celcius, there are rare spikes to 80 Celcius. I am unsure how to interpret this. Note these temperatures I got by trying this with the cool night air blowing in. Room temp is probably like 10-15Celcius. 

Also the computer seems to be 'not even trying'. I mean I hear the fan, but it only blows hard once in a while, maybe because the CPU is only being pushed once in a while. But it doesn't make sense because everything is so slow, why isn't the CPU working harder?

I ran CrystalDiskInfo on my brothers advice and it said my HDD Health Status was Caution. I want to post a log, but I'm not sure how to. I found the folder with a bunch of csv files, not allowed to attach them?

I scanned with AVG and Malwarebytes about two weeks ago, no problems detected. Didn't download anything since then. Actually the computer was slow but not as bad about 3 months ago, ran CHKDSK, found some problems and it seemed to fix the slowness then. It became a little slower again maybe a month ago, ran CHKDSK, no problem. Than last week this full blown problem appeared. I am in the process of copying essential files since as expected even file transfers are super slow.

So I would like to ask for help on solving this problem. Is it overheating, HDD failure, or something else? It would be great if I at least find out what the cause problem is to better determine my options. E.g. If it's just a cooling problem maybe I can save my HDD

Please do tell me what you need me to do to help in the diagnosis/solution. Your help is very much appreciated.

EDIT: Also I tried to open up my laptop to clean it and rule out dust bloackage, but I was unable to open 4 screws for some unknown reason. so abandoned it.

Edited by TheJs, 01 November 2014 - 09:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheJs

TheJs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:07 AM

Just started up my computer again, first thing that came up was a message that I may need to run CHKDSK, so I pressed nothing and let it run.
There was a lot of  "Deleting corrupt attribute record (128," ") from file record segment [some numbers]:
and "Deleting orphan file record segment [some number]"
and various variations of "Deleting index entry avgrs.log in index $I30 of file 94802"
and and various variations of "Recovering orphaned file avgrs.log (78413) into directory file 94802"

Even after that the computer is still as slow.

Trying to launch Event Viewer to get the CHKDSK logs, but it does not open. Things about "Add Snap In", "End Snap In" and MMC

#3 larry300boom

larry300boom

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:53 AM

System Spec:
Laptop Toshiba Satellite L745
Windows 7 64-bit
Intel Core i5 2410M (2.30GHz)
8GB RAM
GT 525M Graphics card
500GB HDD
A little more than 3 years old.Base observations:
Started about 1 week ago. Basically nearly everything happens 10x slower. Slow to boot, slow to login, slow to load desktop, slow to manuever in Windows explorer. Even opening Google Chrome takes literally 5-10 minutes. Also every few minutes sometimes the computer hangs for 1-3 seconds. Interestingly when Google Chrome has opened,and web browsing is fairly normal except for the sudden 1-3s hangs. About 5 days ago it didn't even manage to get to the desktop. It took forever to log in, the windows toolbar never loaded, no icons either, I shut it down with the power button fearing it was a overheating problem. Didn't try to start the computer until today, opened the window to let cool air in and hopefully cool the laptop.Supporting observations:
Task manager shows CPU Usage oscillates only between 1-10% despite the programs etc loading slow or trying to transfer files. It occasionally spikes up to 60-80% for like half a second. I downloaded CPUID to check if it was indeed a overheating problem at it shows the CPU at about a constant 55-65 Celcius, there are rare spikes to 80 Celcius. I am unsure how to interpret this. Note these temperatures I got by trying this with the cool night air blowing in. Room temp is probably like 10-15Celcius. 
Also the computer seems to be 'not even trying'. I mean I hear the fan, but it only blows hard once in a while, maybe because the CPU is only being pushed once in a while. But it doesn't make sense because everything is so slow, why isn't the CPU working harder?
I ran CrystalDiskInfo on my brothers advice and it said my HDD Health Status was Caution. I want to post a log, but I'm not sure how to. I found the folder with a bunch of csv files, not allowed to attach them?
I scanned with AVG and Malwarebytes about two weeks ago, no problems detected. Didn't download anything since then. Actually the computer was slow but not as bad about 3 months ago, ran CHKDSK, found some problems and it seemed to fix the slowness then. It became a little slower again maybe a month ago, ran CHKDSK, no problem. Than last week this full blown problem appeared. I am in the process of copying essential files since as expected even file transfers are super slow.
So I would like to ask for help on solving this problem. Is it overheating, HDD failure, or something else? It would be great if I at least find out what the cause problem is to better determine my options. E.g. If it's just a cooling problem maybe I can save my HDD
Please do tell me what you need me to do to help in the diagnosis/solution. Your help is very much appreciated.
EDIT: Also I tried to open up my laptop to clean it and rule out dust bloackage, but I was unable to open 4 screws for some unknown reason. so abandoned it.

Just started up my computer again, first thing that came up was a message that I may need to run CHKDSK, so I pressed nothing and let it run.
There was a lot of  "Deleting corrupt attribute record (128," ") from file record segment [some numbers]:
and "Deleting orphan file record segment [some number]"
and various variations of "Deleting index entry avgrs.log in index $I30 of file 94802"
and and various variations of "Recovering orphaned file avgrs.log (78413) into directory file 94802"
Even after that the computer is still as slow.
Trying to launch Event Viewer to get the CHKDSK logs, but it does not open. Things about "Add Snap In", "End Snap In" and MMC

HDD Failure/Corrupt or CPU overheated.

#4 TheJs

TheJs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:18 PM

Would you happen to know which? Is there a way I can confirm either?
I tried to open my laptop to clean it, but 4 screws don't budge although they are the same size as the rest. I

If it's just overheating, I will try harder at opening the laptop. But if it's not I'll just not bother.

#5 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:31 PM

I ran CrystalDiskInfo on my brothers advice and it said my HDD Health Status was Caution.

Everything points to failing HDD. If you keep running checks and whatnot at this point, it only causes more damage. Replace it.

Edit: If the machine has years of use, it definitely would not hurt to clean the innards.

Edited by bludgard, 02 November 2014 - 08:32 PM.

#6 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:13 PM

I agree with bludgard; the symptoms point to your hard drive going bad, so the more tests you run on it now, the more likely it will die on you in the process.  Therefore I recommend you quickly back up all of your important files as soon as possible, just to be safe.

Once you've backed up your important files, we can try some more diagnostics, but saving your data should come first.

P.S.  By any chance, did your laptop come with a Windows install CD?  Did you ever create a Windows system repair CD?

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#7 TheJs

TheJs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I agree with bludgard; the symptoms point to your hard drive going bad, so the more tests you run on it now, the more likely it will die on you in the process.  Therefore I recommend you quickly back up all of your important files as soon as possible, just to be safe.

Once you've backed up your important files, we can try some more diagnostics, but saving your data should come first.

I have already backed up all my important files. Only things like music mp3s, game screenshots, are not backed up, I don't mind losing those. So yes, all my important files are backed up to an external drive.

P.S.  By any chance, did your laptop come with a Windows install CD?  Did you ever create a Windows system repair CD?

Yes, it is a Toshiba Recover Media, which is used to reinstall everything. Never used it before though. Should I try it?

#8 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:30 PM

Okay, now that you have your data safely backed up, you will want to thoroughly test your hard drive.  We don't want to waste effort tying to repair or reinstall Windows if your drive is going bad.

What version of Windows do you have installed, by the way?

I'm not very familiar with CrystalDiskInfo, but since it gave you a caution warning, you should run a further test with software specifically designed to test Toshiba hard drives.

If you go to the following site, it will provide you with some guidance on downloading and running the appropriate hard drive testing software.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/?hl=hard+drive+diagnostic

Make sure you select the tool which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, you may need to create a bootable floppy, or a bootable CD.
If the downloaded file is of 
.iso type, use ImgBurnhttp://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), to make the CD bootable.

For Toshiba drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

Please report back on your hard drive test results.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#9 TheJs

TheJs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:32 AM

I am running WIndows 7 64-bit.

All the Diagnostic tools seem to not support Windows 7. I believe my hard disk model is TOSHIBA MK6465GSX 640GB

I have to go for 1-3 hours now, but I'll download Belarc and EVEREST as suggested fromyour BleepingComputer link. WIll try to run one of them later, unless you suggest something else instead.

By the way, downloading imgburn from the given mirrors caused a AVG warning of "MalSign.OpenCandy.7AF". I let AVG delete/remove it.

#10 TheJs

TheJs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:13 AM

EVEREST says I have TOSHIBA MK6465GSXN

Found this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/428602/laptop-wont-boot-with-hard-drive-issues-claimed-by-windows/

Since the toshiba diagnostic tools don't support windwos7 I will use SeaTools for DOS. Will post results later

#11 TheJs

TheJs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:15 PM

I just ran Toshiba HDD/SSD Alert, and it gave:
"

Disk0
Your HDD is working properly.
Still, it is highly recommended to always make back-up copies of data by periodically storing it on an external storage medium, to avoid risk of lost data under normal operation of your PC.

"

Computer is still slow though.
Will run SeaTools in a bit.

#12 TheJs

TheJs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:07 PM

When I used Toshiba PC Health Monitor, it says CPU Temp is ~87% and FAN Speed is ~55%, Hard Disk Drive status is "Good" whatever that means. Restarting now to run SeaTools on boot

#13 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:21 PM

Check your inbox: I have left a link to a portable program I threw together via VMware ThinApp. Been using it for years and gives accurate and detailed info of the drive in question (works on all the drives I have tested regardless of manufacturer).

Let us know what it reports.

Thanks

#14 TheJs

TheJs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:51 PM

I ran SeaTools from boot just now, it could not detect the drive. Probably because it is only for Seagate drives?

I tried another of the programs that came installed with this laptop: Toshiba PC Diagnostic Tool. It's Hard Disk Drive Test gives me a 'PASS'. In any case I'll try the other test.

Check your inbox: I have left a link to a portable program I threw together via VMware ThinApp. Been using it for years and gives accurate and detailed info of the drive in question (works on all the drives I have tested regardless of manufacturer).

Let us know what it reports.

Thanks

Ok, downloading it now and going to try it after I post this.

By the way, something weird seems to have happened. my laptop suddenly seems to work faster now. All I did was this: after the SeaTools could not detect my hard disk, I started up my computer again and wanted the run Toshiba PC Diagnostic Tool. It was taking so long to launch the tool that I decided to hit the gym, after I came back, about 1 hour later (now), the Toshiba PC Diagnostic Tool has launched and the computer seems faster. The CPU usage seems to be more normal now, about constant 25-30% with the browser. No weird "oscillating between 1-10% with spikes to 60-80%". Windows explorer is functioning faster too.

Although HWMonitor reports the CPU temperatures are going at about 75-85celcius!!!!! Damn, I better turn off this laptop soon

#15 TheJs

TheJs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:56 PM

Hard Disk Sentinel Keeps giving:

Runtime error 216 at 00403326

UPDATE: Ooops forgot to run as administrator
UPDATE again: Ran as administrator, still had the same runtime error but the program launched:

The main notice is:
"

There are 68 bad sectors on the disk surface. The contents of these sectors were moved to the spare area.
Based on the number of remapping operations, the bad sectors may form continuous areas.
There are 13 weak sectors found on the disk surface. They may be remapped any time in the later use of the disk.
At this point, warranty replacement of the disk is not yet possible, only if the health drops further.
It is recommended to examine the log of the disk regularly. All new problems found will be logged there.

It is recommended to backup often to prevent data loss.
"

Edited by TheJs, 06 November 2014 - 05:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users