Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Updating BIOS.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chancedavis

Chancedavis

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:46 PM

Hello! I am having an issue and I don't want to try anything without advice.

My computer is a Samsung Series 7 Chronos np700z5c running windows 8.1.

The SW Update told me I needed to update my BIOS so I clicked update thinking it would be a quick process. It was not. I will list the steps I took and provide a screenshot of what is currently on my screen.

1. Used SW Update to update BIOS

2. After thirty minutes it was still stuck in the "file extraction" phase(check mark next to this)

3. Attempted to kill the program but the SFlash64.exe window would not close

4. Downloaded the BIOS updater directly and tried to run it(while the original SFlash64.exe was still running), a short while after the "BIOS update" part was checked.

After 24 hours the screen it still the same. I am afraid to shut down because I know that a bad BIOS update can wreck my computer. So my question is: Is it safe to shut down? or is there any way to check from windows to see if the update was successful or not?

The included screenshot shows exactly what has been on my desktop for over 24 hours.

Thanks in advance for any help. I will respond to any questions as promptly as possible.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:28 AM

Can you kill it from Task Manager?

#3 Chancedavis

Chancedavis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:34 AM

I can kill the window that says updating(Samsung PC BIOS update program), but not the SFlash64 window. When I try to end it is just says not responding for a second but does not close.

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:08 AM

The only advice I can give is to reboot and hope for the best. Since the process still seems to be trying to extract, then maybe it's just hung memory and will be fine after reboot. But then again BIOS updates are notoriously tricky and if they go wrong they can brick the PC.

If your PC is functional and you can still navigate the web, you can try this tool ... http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/ProcessKO .

Warning! This tool is somewhat powerful and won't give you hand-holding alerts if you're about to kill a necessary  process. Just letting you know.

#5 Chancedavis

Chancedavis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:25 AM

PC is still functional now. I downloaded ProcessKO but the process I want to close isn't showing on the list. I guess I will shut down and hope for the best.

#6 Chancedavis

Chancedavis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:11 AM

Ok. I hit shut down, but instead of just turning off it rebooted. Windows started normally and a window popped up saying update failed(screenshot included). In your opinion does this mean that the update failed and the previous BIOS version is still intact? Or does it mean that the update was a failure and that it is probably broken? 

Attached Files

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:15 AM

It states that the update failed.  I would have to assume this means that your BIOS is the same as prior to trying to flash the BIOS.

You should't flash the BIOS unless there is a specific reason for this.  If the manufacturer of the computer has an upgrade for the BIOS, then you should do this.  If you have installed new hardware which will require a BIOS upgrade, see if there is a newer version of the BIOS that you are running.  If there is, use it.

Edited by dc3, 02 November 2014 - 11:18 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Chancedavis

Chancedavis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for your responses.

I have tried to shut down the PC several times now and instead of shutting down it keeps going black then back to the login screen. I do not think it is even fully rebooting. Not sure where to go from here.

To clarify: I hit shutdown. The "shutting down" screen comes up, then it goes black. After the screen goes black the keyboard stays lit up and the fan continues to run. If I wait a minute or so then hit the mouse the black screen becomes my login screen and I log in normally. The Samsung loading screen never comes up or anything.

Edited by Chancedavis, 02 November 2014 - 12:39 PM.

#9 Chancedavis

Chancedavis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:22 PM

Instead of shutting down I tried to restart. Doing this made the computer do a full reboot. Now shutting down is working correctly so I guess everything is back to normal. I hope.

Thanks for your replies!

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:37 PM

It never ceases to amaze me how often a simple reboot will resolve a computer issue.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users