Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet speeds

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hydrod

hydrod

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:04 PM

Running windows7 pro on a network with 7 other computers, the following is a list of what is installed

1.  Each computer has a 10/100/1000 ethernet card

2.  All computers are hooked up with a CAT 6 cable

3.  Router is a CISCO 10/100/1000 wireless

4.  10/100/1000 SWITCH

5.  Motorola DCP 3010 Modem  1 gig capable

OK the problem is that 3 of these computers are only getting 100 Mbps.

Question is: What am I missing, all drivers are up to date. Checked all connections,

Internet speeds are 1.8 Mbps download and 1.9 Mbps upload using Cox, paying for 50 Mbps and as always Cox says there is nothing wrong on there end.

Edited by hydrod, 01 November 2014 - 05:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:58 PM

Are the cable home made or purchased?

#3 hydrod

hydrod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:42 PM

They are purchased CAT 6
And I checked all cables to make sure some rat or mouse didn't chew through them.....

Edited by hydrod, 01 November 2014 - 06:44 PM.

#4 starrouter

starrouter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:03 AM

You should be able to log in to the modem itself, usually something like http://192.168.0.1 and somewhere in there should be a utilities area that will show the internet speed that is coming into the modem.  Should be atleast 80% or more of what you are subscribed, or 40 to 50 meg.  That will tell you if the problem is on your side of the modem or on theirs. 

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:58 AM

Model cisco router?

Have you tried on the three computers manually setting the speed and duplex from auto to gig and full duplex?

Just to clarify but it does not appear the modem support gig in the way you think. 

From here:

http://www.broadstripe.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Cisco-DPC3010-Modem.pdf

It says:

Includes bridged Gigabit Ethernet (GigE) and 10/100BASE-T auto-sensing/auto-MDIX Ethernet ports.

which tells me internally its gigabit but the lan ports are only 10/100 which is no problem if the wan port is only getting 50mbps.

Even connected at 100mbps on the 3 workstations makes no difference to the internet speed.  If connected at 100mb they should be having internet access in the 40-50mbps range.

The suggestion of doing a speedtest.net test when connected to just the modem is a good one.  There maybe a issue with the router if you get in the 50mbps range when connected to just the modem.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 03 November 2014 - 12:01 PM.

#6 hydrod

hydrod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:45 PM

I got to looking at the system again, bypassed the router and straight into the switch, everything starting working, Now the good part, I noticed that the CAT 5E cable that COX installed from the Modem to the Router had its wires pulled out
of one of the sockets on the cable, I changed this cable and now it's working, goes to show you, just look for the least expensive item and you will usually find the problem.
Thanks for the help, learned a few things along the way.

Edited by hydrod, 03 November 2014 - 07:48 PM.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:45 AM

That's why I asked about the cables.  If you were getting 100MB instead of 1GB that is most likely an issue with the cabling since 1GB requires more wires than 100MB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users