Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows critical error message upon opening certain zip files

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 roscoe9er

roscoe9er

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:02 PM

I have 3 or 4 .zip files out of about a drillion that cause windows to shut down every time I attempt to open them

1 is a software program I payed for & would really like to use & 1 is some info in PDF form that I need --any suggestions?

I have been unable find any info on this issue anywhere on the intertubes.

Thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:44 PM

Right click and select "Run as Administrator"...??....just a guess on my part...

and....what is the error message ?

Edited by Condobloke, 01 November 2014 - 05:45 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:57 PM

It could also be that these files have got corrupted in the download process. Can you try downloading them again ?  You certainly should not have a problem downloading the one you paid for again as you will have proof of purchase.

It is a fairly rare occurrence, but I have had it happen once or twice.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 roscoe9er

roscoe9er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:20 AM

Right click and select "Run as Administrator"...??....just a guess on my part...

and....what is the error message ?

thanks condo, when I right click I git 16 options, none are "Run as Administrator".

the error is the standard 'windows has experienced a crtical error and will restart in 1 minute please save all work blahblah' I dont remember exactly & I can never screen-shot it because none of my tools will work after the message.

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:44 AM

Have you tried a system restore..?

Here Is How

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#6 roscoe9er

roscoe9er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:45 AM

It could also be that these files have got corrupted in the download process. Can you try downloading them again ?  You certainly should not have a problem downloading the one you paid for again as you will have proof of purchase.

It is a fairly rare occurrence, but I have had it happen once or twice.

Chris Cosgrove

thanks chris, I've deleted & re-downloaded these files multiple times & in the case of the software, the creator even sent me "his copy" with no restrictions --same result. I've tried various extraction software, opening the files before extraction, clicking 'open' instead of 'save' & I've scanned them with both avast & malwarebytes just for drill. As soon as I left-click the file for any action, I get the error message immediately & windows shuts down. yet I can open many other .zip files with no problem, also others can open the files I can't, downloaded from the same sources. seems I'm the only one having this issue --has to be something in my machine

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:48 AM

....and....have you tried opening them in safe mode ...?

#8 roscoe9er

roscoe9er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:49 AM

Have you tried a system restore..?

Here Is How

I have tried a system restore & also cleared every cache, cookie, etc I could find & ran c-cleaner & a defrag just for fun

#9 roscoe9er

roscoe9er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:32 PM

sorry condo, i missed your suggestion about safe mode --i thot of it when I was trying everything to run that software, couldn't get it to do anything in safe mode but now that i think about it, it didn't restart windows when i clicked it so it makes sense to go back & see if i can open the others which are mostly PDFs, images, Excel sheets.

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:38 PM

go HERE

That little problem you had in Safe Mode may be the key.

#11 roscoe9er

roscoe9er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:04 AM

....and....have you tried opening them in safe mode ...?

Hey, I almost forgot to come back & clean up my mess. In case anyone else is having this issue & wondering about the outcome; I was able to open all the files in safe mode & move the contents, where they opened just fine from their new location even after leaving safe mode. I also moved the software files to a new folder & that works perfectly as well. Still very annoying to me that multiple downloads of these files had the same issue but apparently only on my machine, yet they're fine out of their original .zip folder. BLEEPING COMPUTER! Thanks again Condo & Chris.

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:07 AM

Always a pleasure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users