Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking to upgrade computer

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 leis

leis

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:47 PM

Hi,

I am putting this out there to maybe find suggestions, recommendations and ideas as to upgrading my PC as far as starting with the hard drive and CPU.

I have Biostar motherboard and would like to move up with more speed on internet and in general, and overall performance. (Not gamer so not that much GUSTO's required:))

Mostly, I use computer for internet  (am not Gamer) and since my ISP increased with greater than DSL speeds to the new trueStream (via DSL Extreme is provider) I would like to get upgrading and have some faster performance to go with the service.

So, if any suggestions or recommendations can be made in what might be a good start in looking at what hard drives and cpu set may be good for my particular set up (at present by the way, I have a Seagate Hard Drive) and price-wise, I'd like to stay under 70 for the HD and what may be decent price on cpu as well (?).

If further details or info's needed just let me know. Thanks for your anticipated input, if so*

Take care,

leis

Windows 7 Pro 32 bit                 is OS

Computer:   Biostar Motherboard   
                                                     AMD740G / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 x 2   5200+    Sempron  Phenom Processors 
                                Supports DDR2 duel channel mode   2.70 ghz

400 Gb   (3.37 Gb usable)        Realtek

Seagate HD                                                       

Edited by leis, 01 November 2014 - 04:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:01 PM

An SSD HD makes a great improvement with little to NO hassle!  The increase in performance will surprise you.

Edited by OldPhil, 02 November 2014 - 06:16 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 leis

leis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:15 AM

Hi OldPhil, Thanks for your fill in reply.

Ha

No, I looked up the SSD you've mentioned and it's really different than the HD common and 3 advantages is listed to be less power used, faster accessible Data and higher reliability.

No moving parts and that would also equate no sound probably at all from any revd' up spinning HD (right) not that that's any of the pros or cons of it, you know. The next StartPage search (rather than Google (sorry)) but anyway, I'll have to look at prices and yeh--a friend mentioned the hard drives that I forgot what he said or the name of it, but how's everyone else taking it or is it being sold on the latest greatest or maybe not as much as people line up like concert tickets for new Apple stuff.

Ok, well, thanks for your hint and like I say, I'm trying to match up to what the motherboard can accommodate and then probably if getting that handled, maybe i'll think I need a new motherboard. hm

I'll let you know if interested if I get one of these and it's not like on a rush and i'll have plenty to learn about.

Ok later*

Leis

#4 leis

leis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:17 AM

p.s. came back from ... price of these guys....wow, maybe not right now, I'll be better to stick w/regular HD

so .... anyway :) maybe it's going to work out to find Seagate hard drive since I've had one originally for this computer I'm on and got from Newegg.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:11 AM

Internet speed, for the most part, has nothing to do with your computer and everything to do with your Internet Service Provider (ISP).  If you don't have fast enough service coming in, it doesn't matter how your PC is configured.

How much RAM do you have?  RAM is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can do, but with a 32-bit OS you are limited to 4GB of usable RAM of which you'll probably see 3.5GB usable.

Given your $70 limit you're not going to have much improvement, but will be able to replace that hard drive with a newer drive with more space.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,125 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:12 AM

My point you don't need a CPU and a HD an SSD by its self will accomplish even more, I have two machines with SSD's my three year old lap top with no other changes saw the biggest boost my tower was built with the SSD would not have a machine without one!

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:43 AM

I got a deal today on a SSD drive for under $70.  Kingston HyperX 120 GB $64.99 with promo code 55476E0.  120GB is as small as I would recommend for a SSD as anything smaller will quickly have space issues.

#8 leis

leis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:13 AM

Woo! That's a cool description and shows you saved $30! Way 2 go.

Now I'm beginning to feel the vibe that this is what to get for my computer. I mean it seems something of that bigger Gb to go with the motherboard I have may be too much for it or not enough motherboard for it? I don't want to under cut my own stuff but you know what I mean? It should be fine though, according to what OS above just said that he didn't (or I wouldn't need to change the CPU).

#9 leis

leis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:20 AM

OS,

Ok, that sounds so much more like it, or I mean, that the whole system doesn't have to be upgraded in order to upgrade the main component, the hard drive. Seeing this other guy's deal that replied-Kilroy, on his KIngston SSD is wild too. 128GB sounds huge to me in this kind of HardDrive, if that's really the term or name of them or it(?).

So, let's get going w/it or that is, I shall look around and without too much haste & waste just see what I can read up and then by my next Pchek i'll just see what I can handle and this is more interesting than I thought. hah you know what I mean? And mine (PC) isn't so bad-off or I mean, my friend helped me put it together, I was cautious and overly concerned about every little element and some time ya gotta just relax and say Go or something like that.  :)

But yeh, this is taking it in a whole new direction-like.

Alright, TBC          I'm not abbreviation like texters but to be continued.... 

Later*

Edited by leis, 04 November 2014 - 02:22 AM.

#10 leis

leis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:38 AM

Kilroy,

Ok, well you're right on the 4GB is my Ram and that's the maximum for the Motherboard-or no, I'm sorry it can be enabled I think for 8 gb ram, if with the right processor.....

Ok on the Isp, I just got trueStream (FO) and for instance I did just now 2 speed tests from the Broadband.com reports and one was local LA and 1 was New Jersey and so....   LA:  latency 32     DL:  1873 kb/s   UL: 1251 kb/s                   
                                                                                   New Jersey-one  latency  44    DL: 1866 kb/s    UL: 1368 kb/s.

So, I think that's beautiful. I mean seeing how I was like DSL  604 for the most part was the download and 384 upload and the subscribed speeds advertised was 1500/384 and that's the same speeds that the fiber is at in their lowest package and is the one I have and like I said, just got last week.

I'm feeling alright about having the necessary ISP. So, in terms of well-I don't know if I need more space of hard drive, I just was thinking that to upgrade always sounds good on anything and like feeling, you know, getting spiffy'd up to, I don't know, upgrade some place or ....

But no, it's probably a good idea to get a boost on hard drive and that the difference of the 32 bit range of Ram is considerable because in saying something of balance of having system, you know, it's sounding like that might be more of a too much hard drive for the computer as in having a rev'd up sports car for local Sunday drive-like if that makes sense. So, it would seem like, is that what you mean? I mean, it's not like there's a computer law of having fast hard drive in a not so fast computer, or I'm thinking too much now.

I was in the same kind of discussion when purchasing Ram, speaking of, to ensure I was putting the sticks where they should be & per stick's quantity. Then the guy was saying that to go beyond the 4 GB that is standard, the standard also calls for more processor if going 4+ and at the time, there wasn't reason really to do that just to (I remember now,) get 64 bit Windows OS.

So...

Edited by leis, 04 November 2014 - 02:43 AM.

#11 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:43 AM

What is the motherboard model number? Need to know that to know what CPU's it will support. If it's too old, then you might not be able to upgrade the cpu because nobody sells them anymore. Also the fastest CPU for your motherboard might not be that much faster than the CPU you have now, making it not worth it.

The motherboard has nothing to do with the size of the hard drive.

An SSD will give your computer snappier performance mainly in loading programs. Windows will load faster, programs will open faster. That is pretty much the only improvement that you will notice an SSD giving you. It will not give you more space to store files, because SSDs are generally smaller than Hard drives.

Separately from the SSD upgrade idea, if you just want more space, add a big green hard drive.

#12 leis

leis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:11 AM

Hi,

Yeh, I'm pretty much Bleeper'd on the idea to go for getting a SSD!

Well, the CPU processor as I'm going by the device manager tree listing, under Processor shows the Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 x 2   5200+   (twice)
                                                                                                                                               I guess for being the duel core processor.

And the MoBo is Biostar A740G M2+                    (straight off the box when I got it like 7 yrs....(wow) ago)

As far as the HD Seagate, I can't remember the exact specs and it just shows a disk drive (in device manager)

No, I'd like a snappy-go-MORE to add new hard drive and it doesn't require having processor (or so much like the set, it seemed with regular Hard Drive) or how would you say, is it Sata Hard Drive??

Anyway, yeh, this is what is I guess turning out to be the old and the new-in and it's the SSD's accordingly, right? And then they talk about the gigabytes and TB.....or that's changing the rate of or law of physics.....Nah, I'm just joking but

what do you think on SSD-wise of brand models and stuff?

I'll get the exact info. if still you are interested in what I've got running. And here's the other thing if SSDs are smaller and it seems so weird to hear they're holder of more but sleeker in downgrade of actual physical size, I mean.

But so a tower or mid-tower I guess is my (now seems more like old school sounds) but that may be a big garage for the size of the SSD (?).

Edited by leis, 04 November 2014 - 03:20 AM.

#13 TNF

TNF

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:01 AM

p.s. came back from ... price of these guys....wow, maybe not right now, I'll be better to stick w/regular HD

so .... anyway :) maybe it's going to work out to find Seagate hard drive since I've had one originally for this computer I'm on and got from Newegg.

Along with the deal Kilroy found, there is this: 

Not top of the line, but here is a Transcend 128GB for $60.

It can't be your only drive, but if you put your operating system on this.... it is the most performance improvement you will get for your money.

Also PNY 240GB for $80 (after $20 rebate).

Since you can't increase your memory, and you don't need to improve your graphics... I would recommend the SSD, like OldPhil.

#14 leis

leis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:58 AM

Thanks for the tippers.

These are not bad for the price and the reviews if they're to be believed, these guys seem pretty stoked about performance. And it makes sense looking at the memory of my Pc, if it's that much to 'change' or increase it, it goes a little beyond simple or more realistic upgrade. I think you guys present the best results (potential) on my part or from what I'm learning of the SSDs. With this technology, I wonder about the installment phase of putting it in computer and I'll have to study a little but meanwhile, do you just lose the Cpu part of it since it's not a requirement to function with SSD?

#15 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,125 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:36 AM

The CPU is still the heart of the system, the SSD just speeds things up a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users