Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Chrome records cookies without running Google Chrome

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:37 PM

An install of Google Crhome browser is apparantly recording cookies while the Google Chrome browser itself is not being used;  the cookies seem to be of webpages and sites that other people in this location visit through another browser.  This makes me thing that the Google Chrome browser sneaks information from the user of other browsers on the computer, and this makes me wonder, what more is being done with this set of cookies lifted from the other browser?

This cannot be normal; is it?

Every day, I come to the particular computer with google chrome on it, open history, see the cookies listed, delete them, and only use the browser in Incognito mode.  No cookies recorded during any of my usage sessions.  Later, after other people who never use Chrome use the computer, go online (with Internet Explorer), makes their website visits, and then finish; when I come back to use the computer again and go online in incognito mode on Chrome, ... there again are more cookies listed, and mostly from sites that I did not visit.

This just seems like it should not be happening.  Tell me about it?

IE 11, Firefox 33, Google Chrome 38

Norton 360;

Windows 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:21 PM

What content settings is ticked for Cookies? I frequently use Chrome Browser so I must need to observe the behavior you were referring to as cookie populated on All cookies and site data if this is what you were referring to(?).

Tekken

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:55 PM

What I really wanted to say was, Google Chrome is listing HISTORY items in the HISTORY list, for when the Internet Explorer browser was being used while Google Chrome was NOT used.  Those items might or might not be the same as "cookies".

I am now checking on the content settings that jhayz asked of me.

...and that answer is:  "Allow local data to be set (recommended)", for the "Cookies" section.

Edited by cafejose, 01 November 2014 - 09:00 PM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:32 PM

...and that answer is:  "Allow local data to be set (recommended)", for the "Cookies" section

Try Keep local data only until you quit browser - Done. Just checked my Chrome browser (while signed in and out of Google Gmail account) History under Settings and so far no IE related history or page visited being  sent or sync. Cookies and History may not be related to your problem as they refer to 2 different things. Might wanna check in Settings - Advanced Sync Settings and customize your chrome sync features or see here.

Tekken

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:22 AM

...and that answer is:  "Allow local data to be set (recommended)", for the "Cookies" section

Try Keep local data only until you quit browser - Done. Just checked my Chrome browser (while signed in and out of Google Gmail account) History under Settings and so far no IE related history or page visited being  sent or sync. Cookies and History may not be related to your problem as they refer to 2 different things. Might wanna check in Settings - Advanced Sync Settings and customize your chrome sync features or see here.

No such option found as "Sync Settings" or any "Advanced Sync Settings".   Your first suggestion of the "...local...until quit browser"  should be a good choice, which I will try.

#6 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:39 AM

jhayz,

Your first instruction, selecting to keep local data set until quit the browser works.  No more history items listed in Chrome when Internet Explorer is used.  

#7 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:13 PM

Now, I am not so sure that changing that setting is stopping the recording of History items.  Overnight and into the morning, someone else has used Internet Explorer with no use of Google Chrome.  Upon my first session today of Chrome, the History showed a list of items, and these items were recorded while Chrome was NOT being used.  

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:53 PM

What history? Chrome history? I'm not sure if that is possible though. Can you give atleast the first 5 items listed in history along with the dates to check on my end?

Tekken

#9 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:08 PM

What history? Chrome history? I'm not sure if that is possible though. Can you give atleast the first 5 items listed in history along with the dates to check on my end?

The history items listed in "History" for CHROME browser while chrome was NOT being used!  The items that were recorded when INTERNET EXPLORER was used instead, which become listed in CHROME even through chrome browser was not used to visit those sites!  

Here is the pasted list for today from the afternoon:

Google chrome was not used to make those page visits!  Those visits were used with Internet Explorer.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:11 PM

They seem to be related to AOL products or services. Do you happen to have been using and installed AOL?

Tekken

#11 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:37 PM

They seem to be related to AOL products or services. Do you happen to have been using and installed AOL?

The Internet Explorer browser on the affected computer has AOL toolbar, but the install of Google Chrome has not any tools; it only has an adblocker extension and the Norton Toolbar and Identity-Safe  Extension.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:26 AM

Please remove any AOL related products by Add or Remove Programs.

Download Adwcleaner by Xplode from here.
Click on Adwcleaner and hit the Scan button and will begin to search for PUP and malicious files. Once finished click the Clean button.
Copy and paste the log on your next reply.

Download JRT by thisisu from this link.
Make sure to disable your antivirus or any running protection softwares before running JRT to avoid interferences.
For Vista and Windows 7, right-click and Run as Administrator. In XP, double click JRT icon.
Please be patient and let the program finish scanning.
Once finish, a text document will open then copy-paste it on your next reply.

Try clearing your cache files : Free Ccleaner
Ignore the Registry feature of Ccleaner as it is not recommended or needed.

Tekken

#13 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:05 AM

jhayz,

Probably nice advice, but I do not have permission to download and run any programs to/on the affected computer.  The other people here do not much care about this affect with Google Chrome because they do not use it, and its presence on the affected computer has no effect on their use of the computer (except for what I have been finding in Google Chrome's History listings).  Also I do not have permission to uninstall/remove any tools from Internet Explorer on the affected machine.

Thanks anyway for the advice.

Edited by cafejose, 03 November 2014 - 02:11 AM.

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:57 AM

That would be fine on my part. Unless it was affecting the computer in question, please do follow the suggestion if ever you need to check or clean of certain unwanted programs or toolbars. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#15 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:57 PM

Google Chrome contained information within its settings showing Default Browser to be Google Chrome, although no hyperlink clicks seemed to be consistent with this.  Setting Internet Explorer as the default browser and then visiting various websites now no longer puts any "History" listings into Google Chrome when visiting those sites in Internet Explorer.  Setting I.E. as the default browser then appears to be the remedy to stopping the History listings appearing in Chrome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users