Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo Ideapad z560 AC power issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LasersEdge

LasersEdge

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:46 PM

I have a Lenovo z560 that does not recognize the AC power input any longer. When I checked the voltage of the adapter its reading 15 vdc. The laptop runs on what remains of the battery. I currently have it shut down, AC adapter plugged in, no indicator lights. I unplugged and removed the battery and then plugged the AC adapter in and still no indicator light and the laptop will not power on. Any help?

Thank you 

Jeff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:22 PM

Jeff,

That sounds like there may be a motherboard problem in the power distribution section.

How old is the laptop? If it's in warranty I'd be on the phone to the company to get it fixed / replaced soonest.

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 LasersEdge

LasersEdge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:44 PM

Jeff,

That sounds like there may be a motherboard problem in the power distribution section.

How old is the laptop? If it's in warranty I'd be on the phone to the company to get it fixed / replaced soonest.

Keep us posted

Dick

Well I bought a OEM AC adapter from the net and when I plugged it in the laptop recognized it and charged the battery. There is still an issue where it seems like the port you plug into may be getting worn possibly loose on the motherboard. I will look into that when I have a moment.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:30 PM

Jeff,

Better the adapter than the motherboard.

With a bit of luch and some good glue you may be able to solve the rest of the problem

Post back when you can

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,852 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:53 PM

Some of the newer AC adapters have more than one voltage, a three connection plug that may not be apparent.  One is used to power the laptop when plugged in and turned on and the other to charge the battery.  It is possible one circuit failed on the original adapter.  The connector however may have suffered damage and only be making one one connection.  the plug should be used to insert and unplug it, not the cable.  Often the connector will get jammed in place, and serious results would mean a replacement adapter/connector board or a connector ripped off the MOBO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users