Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Interesting adventure last night


  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 LarsMac

LarsMac

  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:09 PM

My grandson is staying with us, and recently built his own PC. 

He did a nice job. it is a very decent rig. 

Win 8.1 on I7 proc, with 8 Gb RAM, and I am fairly impressed. 

 

He has only used the Windows firewall, and Windows Defender.

He has a habit, though of downloading new stuff from websites I tend to avoid, and he got bit really hard just recently.

He downloaded Spyware S&D and ran that, and it seemed to clean up most of the issues, but a couple of days later, it started acting up again.

I took a look at it last night. I also downloaded MBAR from here. Using both MBAR and S&D, I cleaned it up, but ran into a new problem.

The primary culprit appeared to be "Optimizer Pro" It took several runs of Search & Destroy and reboots before I actually cut the thing out. 

 

Suddenly, the browsers could not get out to network target. I kept getting proxy errors.

Internet Options showed that the PC was  configured to use a Proxy server which was set to the loopback. 

I would unset the proxy and and the setting would not take. 

So, to the registry. 

I found the proxy settings in the Internet options section and cleaned that up. resetting the proxyenable and a couple of others to 0 and cleaning out the proxy addr, Save the registry, look in the internet options settings, and see that there was not proxy setting. As soon as I opened the browser, though. it failed with the proxy message. Back to internet options, Proxy was set, and I could not unset. Back to the registry, find the proxy settings, change, save, rinse, repeat. 

 

after a few iterations of this, spending a lot of time looking for other clues, I started looking through the services, to see what else might be affecting network configuration. 

 

I came across Bonjour. An Apple related service (He has an iPhone). 

I stopped Bonjour. Went back to the registry and killed the Proxy, again. 

This time it took. 

So, lesson learned. Bonjour appears to have a hold on some of the configuration options. Should have stopped it to begin with.

 

I wanted to recreate the problem so I could get a better grasp of how all of that interrelated, but Grandson squawked at that. He says, "Go do that on your own computer!" 

 

I guess I need to go buy a copy of Win 8.

 

 

 



BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users