Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Flashes a Random Color and begins to play buzzing audio

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CabooseFox

CabooseFox

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:54 AM

Specs:
Processor Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz
Manufacturer Intel
Speed 3.2 GHz
Number of Cores 8
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Chipset GeForce GTX 580
Dedicated Memory 1.6 GB
Total Memory 4.0 GB
Memory 13 GB
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Service Pack 1
Size 64 Bit

While gaming my computer will do one of two things, it will either flash to a random colored screen and repeat whatever sound was happening during the crash, though heavily distorted. This crash requires a hard restart. Or it will have zig zag lines in a checker pattern across the screen and will eventually recover with the error "Display drivers have stopped responding but have recovered."

Edited by hamluis, 01 November 2014 - 02:08 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:49 AM

Inspect the vid-card to make sure the fan is running properly, and while you're there blow out any dust bunnies.

Now go online and see if you have a driver update for that card. If so, install the update and check performance.

If the malfunction persists then you may have to downgrade the video quality of the card. It's also possible the card is starting to fail.

Let us know.

#3 CabooseFox

CabooseFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:27 PM

I update my drivers as regularly as I can so I don't believe it is that. I opened up my case to see that the fans were working and they are all working properly. However, I did try to run a game that usually crashes as soon as I begin loading into the match. However this time when I tried to play it I got about a quarter of the match in before the crash occurred. Could it be a possible heading issue then since the only difference between my attempts to play the game have been that the case is open, and therefore traps the heat in less?

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:36 AM

Here's a temperature utility you can use to check if your system is overheating, give it a try ... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speedfan/ .

#5 CabooseFox

CabooseFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:59 AM

I know my GPU temp right now at least. It idles at around 50 C and goes up to around 70 or 80 C when gaming, Ill message again when I check the rest of my system

#6 CabooseFox

CabooseFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:04 PM

Hmm, I started to test to see what temp I would get while running a game and the games I am attempting to play have suddenly started to say my graphics card is not supported. They have never said this before.

Edited by CabooseFox, 03 November 2014 - 05:15 PM.

#7 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:05 AM

Sounds like the vid-card is failing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users