Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with mcafee security

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 rp-57

rp-57

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:13 AM

Hello,

I have a new laptop and is a windows 8 and laptop as you know has mcafee security already installed.

I'am interested in taking mcafee off laptop and I thought I had seen the same question asked on one of the forums here but I cannot find the forum about taking off mcafee.

I think if my memory serves me correct you add or save the security of your choice first on your computer then you remove mcafee or what ever you need to remove.

One other situation I was concerned bout is mcafee has there own firewall on my laptop and I guess once mcafee is removed then have to make sure the computer firewall is turned on.

can anyone add any info here that can help and let me know what I need to do or what is best to do.

Thank you have a great day. :love4u:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:02 PM

Steps for Replacing your Anti-virus

McAfee recommends you uninstall using Programs and Features (or Add/Remove Programs) before running their McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR).

* How to uninstall your products using MCPR.exe
* How to uninstall or reinstall McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR)
* McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool BleepingComputer download

Note: Sometimes the uninstall works more effectively if you first stop and disable the program's service (and associated processes) or perform the removal in safe mode so there are less processes which can interfere with the uninstallation.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:05 PM

If a third party trial anti-virus came preinstalled on your computer or you installed one yourself, it most likely turned Windows 8 Defender off (disabled) to avoid conflicts since it includes anti-virus protection. Windows 8 Defender will remain disabled until the third party anti-virus has been completely uninstalled and then Windows 8 Defender needs to be activated if you choose to use it.How to turn on or off the firewall in Windows 7 and Windows 8
Windows 8 Firewall from start to finish

#4 JohnWJ

JohnWJ

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:32 PM

What I have done on our laptop and computer is install the anti virus the want first then uninstall mcafee

John

An Australian Living in the USA

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:11 PM

What I have done on our laptop and computer is install the anti virus the want first then uninstall mcafee

Since you should not have two anti-virus programs installed at the same time, I would not recommend that method.

#6 JohnWJ

JohnWJ

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:04 PM

Since you should not have two anti-virus programs installed at the same time, I would not recommend that method.

Ok but if you do not have one activated ????

John

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:05 PM

See the IMPORTANT NOTE about not using more than one anti-virus program in this topic: Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

#8 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:22 PM

Steps for Replacing your Anti-virus

McAfee recommends you uninstall using Programs and Features (or Add/Remove Programs) before running their McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR).

* How to uninstall your products using MCPR.exe
* How to uninstall or reinstall McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR)
* McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool BleepingComputer download

Note: Sometimes the uninstall works more effectively if you first stop and disable the program's service (and associated processes) or perform the removal in safe mode so there are less processes which can interfere with the uninstallation.

Thankyou for the wonderful info I will follow this through.

Has been a big help. :love4u:

#9 JohnWJ

JohnWJ

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:35 PM

See the IMPORTANT NOTE about not using more than one anti-virus program in this topic: Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

Thanks I'll read it tonight

John

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:38 PM

You're welcome.

#11 AlmaBallard

AlmaBallard

• Banned Spammer
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:21 PM

Hello,

I have a new laptop and is a windows 8 and laptop as you know has mcafee security already installed.

I'am interested in taking mcafee off laptop and I thought I had seen the same question asked on one of the forums here but I cannot find the forum about taking off mcafee.

I think if my memory serves me correct you add or save the security of your choice first on your computer then you remove mcafee or what ever you need to remove.

One other situation I was concerned bout is mcafee has there own firewall on my laptop and I guess once mcafee is removed then have to make sure the computer firewall is turned on.

can anyone add any info here that can help and let me know what I need to do or what is best to do.

Thank you have a great day. :love4u:

I am using McAfee for almost 2 years now, so far I haven't encountered any big problem. Here are some features of McAfee that might help you: It helps you check your computer for your core protection and determine if it's on and up to date; Its scan time is very fast; It easily detects malware, trojans, and potentially unwanted programs in running processes and modules loaded by these processes. I have read lots of reviews about McAfee too, and I was amazed about it.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:43 PM

Although McAfee is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume a lot of system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. If you do a Google Search you will find there have been numerous complaints about it affecting system performance.

Further McAfee products, like Symantec, are becoming difficult to remove and remnants are often left behind which require the use of a special removal tool, otherwise you may encounter problems installing a replacement anti-virus. To be fair, other vendors are also using removal tools for the same reason. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative. IMO, McAfee is better utilized in an Enterprise system environment protecting many client computers.

#13 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:53 PM

Although McAfee is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume a lot of system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. If you do a Google Search you will find there have been numerous complaints about it affecting system performance.

Further McAfee products, like Symantec, are becoming difficult to remove and remnants are often left behind which require the use of a special removal tool, otherwise you may encounter problems installing a replacement anti-virus. To be fair, other vendors are also using removal tools for the same reason. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative. IMO, McAfee is better utilized in an Enterprise system environment protecting many client computers.

So in your honest opinion do you think or know removing mcafee would be the best thing or the worse thing?

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:58 PM

Since you have a new laptop, the version of McAfee which came pre-installed was most likely a trial version. That means you will need to purchase a license after the expiration period to continue to use it. If you are going to pay for an anti-virus, I recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

#15 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:04 PM

Since you have a new laptop, the version of McAfee which came pre-installed was most likely a trial version. That means you will need to purchase a license after the expiration period to continue to use it. If you are going to pay for an anti-virus, I recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

You are correct mcafee came with computer and is a trial version.

I'am undecided if I should let mcafee run its course or just uninstall before the trial ends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users