Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing 1gb ram?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 noz03

noz03

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:59 AM

This is on behalf of my girlfriend but anyway...

She is using a Toshiba L670 14f

Windows 7 pro 64 bit

CPU: Intel Core i3-330M 2.13 GHz

RAM: 3 GB DDR3 1066 Mhz. (Max.4 GB) Ram

But for some reason in Dxdiag it says she has only 2048 MB RAM, it doesn't say DDR either (I thought it usually does).

Does anyone have any idea why this could be? The computer has been in a few computer shops lately, so could one of them have stolen the RAM or could it be damaged/not connected properly? Any ideas?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 VladOsx

VladOsx

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:02 AM

stolen is a possibility

in my country it is :)

#3 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:54 PM

Is there any other possibility? And how can I check if the RAM is phyically missing or not?

#4 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:26 PM

Ok so I decided to open up the computer and inside I found only 1 stick (with 8 chips on it) I assume I should have had 2 sticks, one with 8 chips and one with 4 chips... Not sure how this happened and doubt I will ever find out...

Anyway... I had another 2gb stick from another computer so I thought I could stick that one in and have 4gb... What actually happened though the comptuer started running muuuuuch slower than before, and in the properties it still said 2gb.. So I set everything back to how it was before I opened it, but it wouldnt even boot! Finally I moved the original 2gb to the 2nd ram slot and it booted up ok, but have I somehow damage the 1st Ram slot by adding more RAM? How could that have happened?

#5 VladOsx

VladOsx

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:25 AM

uhhm i guess you should stick it in right spots it needs to be shown the right positions

and stuff or your ram will not run properly

#6 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:34 AM

According to the following Toshiba website:  http://www.toshiba.co.il/en/discontinued-products/satellite-l670-14f/

her laptops's system memory (RAM) comes standard as 3GB (2GB + 1 GB) DDR3 RAM (1,066 MHz), with a mximum capacity of 8GB (provided she also has Windows 7 64-bit installed). (I'm not sure if that 8GB max is for real, though, or it's actually just 4GB) If you can see only one RAM card installed, then the +1GB mentioned above was probably removed by someone.

When you tried adding another 2GB RAM stick into the laptop, did you check to make sure it was also DDR3?

Also, sometimes computers get fussy if the sticks of RAM are not exactly the same (same type, same speed, and even same manufacturer).  If you really want to upgrade from 2GB to 4GB of RAM, you may need to purchase two new sticks (they should only cost about $20 dollars each).

If you go to the following Crucial Memory website, it will scan your computer and tell you exactly what type of RAM sticks you need to buy:  http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/?gclid=CLqBz9L13sECFeVaMgodrmIA6g&cm_mmc=google-_-us-_-dram-_-null&ef_id=VBdTUAAAAflD6n0D:20141103170846:s

Edited by Torvald, 03 November 2014 - 12:09 PM.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#7 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:22 PM

I could somewhat understand if it just wasn't working, or not working properly, but it seems to have damaged the computer as the ram slot which was completely fine before now seems to not work at all since the attempted upgrade... Is that even possible? I've searched google a bunch and nowhere does it say it can damage your computer by using incompatible ram.

The RAM was taken from a 4810t which is supposed (I'm not the laptops first owner)  to be ddr3, the same as the toshiba. I can't tell much from looking at the RAM but I took a photo of all 3 sticks together, the 1st is the toshiba's 2gb, the 2nd two are from the acer.

IMG_3451.jpg

#8 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:37 PM

If the computer won't boot when the 2gb ram is in slot 1, and will boot when it's in slot 2, then you can assume that slot 1 is not working. Why, I have no idea, but it doesn't really matter why.

You could still attempt to run any ram you have in any combination you want, or buy 2 sticks and put them both in etc, and you will learn if they work or not. Right now all you know is slot 2 works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users