Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win98 New Computer Build with FDD's

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 KLund1

KLund1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:43 PM

HI all

I built a 98 machine so that I can read/write 360K 5.25" and 3.5" floppy disks.

But I can only access the FD at the end of the floppy ribbon cable.

In the BIOS I can select drive A and B to the as active and to the correct  capacity.

But when I boot to WIn 98SE WIndows Explorer only sees the drive and the end of the cable. 

I have swaps drive position. No differance. I have removed the FDD driver from Device Manager and rebooted, but get the same result.

I have tested both drives and they are in good working order. The 5.25" has jumpers. I have selected each jumper setting, reboot, no change.

The documantation for my MB 'says' that it can have 2 FDD attached. But it doesn't seem to be the case.

This is driving me nuts, I can't fiigure this out.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:15 PM

What is the model number of each drive? The drive on the end of the cable is usually jumpered as Master and the drive in the middle of the cable would be jumpered as Slave.

You are using a cable similar to this, correct?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users