Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pci simple communications controller

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cooked

cooked

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:50 PM

I suddenly get messages telling me on start up that new hard ware has been found. I am then told to install drivers for it. In the device manager there is a yellow exclamation mark next to this PCI device. Can I simply disable this? I can't even find out what this is.  Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:33 PM

It's normally a dial-up modem. If there's a dial-up port integrated on the system mainboard but it has not been being used, it might just have become enabled somehow in the BIOS. If this is the case, and you do not use dial-up, you could go into the BIOS setup screen (there's usually directions on screen at boot up), and disable the on-board modem. The OS will then no longer find the hardware. Disabling the device in Device Manager is an alternative.

One reason for new hardware suddenly being found is if the CMOS backup battery has gone flat and the BIOS settings have been lost and reverted to default. If you have noticed any other hints such as the clock being wrong, it might be a good idea to replace the backup battery. Usually it is a lithium button cell (commonly CR20320 located in a holder on the mainboard.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 cooked

cooked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:45 PM

Thanks. I have a PC. I actually deleted the offending program from device manager but I still keep getting the message. My computer remains blocked until I click 'go away' three times at different places.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:02 PM

What is the make and model of the computer? In Device Manager, Right Click the device with the yellow exclamation mark. Select Properties. Under the details tab select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line in your next post.

#5 cooked

cooked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:53 PM

Sorry I didn't get back, the problem 'went away' .

Computer: Pentium ® Dual core CPD

ACPI Multiprocessor PC

E 5300 @ 260 GHz

I couldn't work out how to copy the Hardware ID so I attach in pdf.  'no driver files have been loaded for this device'.

Why do I come back? I am getting the blue screen of death on start up although restarting solves that for now. Firefox crashed this morning also. Maybe related.

I suspect that I have a pirate XP installed

Attached Files

Edited by cooked, 21 November 2014 - 05:55 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:20 PM

I could not find anything on that Hardware ID, sorry. What is the make and model of the computer?

#7 cooked

cooked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:38 PM

I could not find anything on that Hardware ID, sorry. What is the make and model of the computer?

This ha sbecome a minor problem compared with BSOD I am now getting. Starting a new topic, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users