Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe 11 Print Dialog

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kelsyhb

kelsyhb

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:33 PM

I work at a public library and am in charge of updating and maintaining our technology. We have over 20 public access computers that are open to our patrons which they can use to print documents, amongst other things. We have a Xerox Workcentre 6605 and use CASSIE, software from Librarica, to control printing. Patrons need to print from their computer, click a confirmation box, and then ask the staff at the desk to release the prints from our manager computer.

Ever since updating to Reader 11, I occasionally see a print dialog pop up when printing a PDF that says the following:

"The default settings in Adobe Reader 11 may cause a color shift when printing PDF files. In addition, some black and white PDF documents may be printed using color and black inks and may be billed as color pages. [I assume this has something do with CASSIE, which determines the charges per print based on the ink color??]

Before you continue printing, Xerox recommends that you change Reader 11 to allow the printer to manage colors.

To change the Reader 11 setting, close this dialog box, click the 'Advanced' button at the bottom of the Print window, and check the option 'Let printer determine colors.'"

There are a couple of options available to our patrons at this point, including "Send my document anyway" and "Don't show this message again." Whatever option is set as the default sends documents as blank pages. Most of our patrons don't know what option to pick so they go with the default, confirm their print which says ZERO PAGES, and then log off the computer. When they come tell me they sent a print, I have to tell them that it didn't go through properly and they have to try again. This usually doesn't get a favorable response because they have to log in again and find their document and print again.

I can't select the "Don't show this message again" option because we have DeepFreeze installed on all the computers so that any changes made to the computer by patrons are erased when the computer is shut down for the night...so the "Don't show this message again" option would revert back.

This is really driving me nutty. I went into the Advanced settings today with a test PDF and it looks like you have to check the option 'Let printer determine colors' for every PDF.  I have also tried recreating the problem on my own but never get the dialog. Help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:14 PM

Just as a suggestion, do you have the authority to try a different PDF viewer ?  Say Foxit or PDF-Exchange viewer to see if you get the same problem there.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 kelsyhb

kelsyhb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:56 PM

I do have the authority to use a different PDF version, but would prefer to keep Adobe. There is an IT employee at another library who creates an automatic updater that updates Adobe and I would rather not do more updates than I have to.

Adobe updated today. I'm having the rest of the staff keep an eye out to see if this pops up again.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:59 PM

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you !

The reason I asked is that in my local libraries, while the library staff have higher privileges than ordinary users they do not have administrator rights to change software or protection settings. This is reserved to the County's IT staff, and libraries are not high up their list of priorities !

Chris Cosgrove

#5 kelsyhb

kelsyhb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:16 AM

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you !

The reason I asked is that in my local libraries, while the library staff have higher privileges than ordinary users they do not have administrator rights to change software or protection settings. This is reserved to the County's IT staff, and libraries are not high up their list of priorities !

Chris Cosgrove

We have 40-odd libraries in our system and three IT guys at HQ. I'm going to email one of them to see if he can figure it out. I did updates last week and the Adobe update didn't take care of the problem. I think I have to accept that this is out of my league!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users