Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Kasperskey scan registry.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JSTJ704

JSTJ704

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:58 PM

I have ran 2 full deep scans Kasp pure 3.0 and I have not seen what looks like registry items or trees in the report of the scan. A few days ago a did a full deep scan with max settings.I ask live tech support does kasp scan registry I was told to add the registry file to scan scope lol mm I think you have to get into reg by CMD but I'am no pro. The first scan came clean. After running Kasp I then ran emsisoft smart scan found two items low or no risk but still found one in registry Key: HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3562058457-2184505213-2745612196-1005\SOFTWARE\SOFTONIC and the other C:\ProgramData\partner     detected: Application.AppInstall (A). I ran a full scan with both today Kasp and Emsisoft both scan clean. I also been told on the other hand kasperskey only scan registry only in deep scan mode. I don't know what to believe. I do like Kasp. I wonder if there's  setting I need to do or change.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:50 PM

The detection is not an infection in the typical sense...but is more accurately classified as a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) {related to a registry key) which does not fall in the same category as malicious files such as viruses, Trojans, worms, rootkits and bots. A PUP is a very broad threat category which can encompass any number of different programs to include those which are benign as well as problematic.

Some Anti-virus/Anti-Malware programs and security scanners have options to include or exclude the detection of PUPs because of how they are defined. If your security tools are not finding any PUPs, then most likely the settings have been set to exclude or ignore those detections so they need to be enabled.

In Kaspersky go to Settings > Additional > Threats and exclusions > Settings and check all the categories under PUPs.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 JSTJ704

JSTJ704
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM