Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bfg Tech Geforce 7950gx2

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 What The Who

What The Who

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:29 PM

I just found this new graphics card on Newegg, and I was curious as to what anyone's heard or experienced.

Here's the link; BFG Tech GeForce 7950GX2

It's the first I've seen with a 1Gb memory size.
"If it doesn't make sense... It's probably true."

- Arlo Guthrie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:45 AM

I don't know, maybe?

It seems like a decent multi-GPU solution, the first such I've come across. Much better than the 7900GX2 quad SLI thing, that rarely worked. Here is a review for those interested. I still would not recommed it though, it has compability issues and doesn't always give any performance increase.

On another note I belive I have seen a few other 1GB memory grapichs cards.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 08:37 PM

Actually, the 7950GX2 does stand it's ground. It is only for quad SLI using only 2 PCI-E X16 slots. The only reason I would get it for is to play games at the crazy high resolution of 2600x1600 (correct me if I'm wrong) with quad 30" monitors. Other than that, it's useless. Yes, it is cheaper than 2x 7900GTX's, if price what gets you, then I say go for it. Even still, 1x X1900XTX beats SLI'd 7900GTXs on many occasions. On top of that, the X1900XTX provides better image quality with capabilities of running both AA and HDR, whereas any nVidia cannot. Maybe in the future nVidia may fix this, but only ATi can provide both AA and HDR.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 03:28 AM

No. The 7900GX2 is specifically for quad SLI, but the 7950GX" is not. There are no drivers for SLI of the 7950GX2. Maybe nVidia will do something about it in the future, but for now it can't be done (unless somebody somewhere has managed to hack their own drivers).

I can not find a single case where a x1900XTX would beat a 7900GTX where the test wasn't CPU limited. The x1900XTX and the 7900GTX are head to head, one performing better in one game, the other in another, generally the x1900XTX is a bit ahead.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 15 June 2006 - 03:30 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:58 AM

Well, on further research, it does not support quad SLi. Thanks for the fact Mr Alpha

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#6 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:03 PM

I've looked at a review for it. It wasn't far behind two GeForce 7900XTX in SLI and two X1900's in Crossfire. They underclocked the memory and the core a bit so it wouldn't overheat to much as well. That' what I found out. The ATI FireGL V350 has 1Gb GDDR3, but it's for video editiing and modeling.

Edited by protozero, 16 June 2006 - 06:41 PM.

#7 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:13 AM

But now Alienware has a new system out sporting a Quad-SLI setup. It says they are using the 7900 series, but it doesn't specify if its the 7950GX2. It sure looks like the same card.

So maybe you can do Quad SLI with it?

Here's the link; Alienware Aurora ALX

- Arlo Guthrie

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:06 PM

In the Alienware setup two 7900GX2 cards are used, not two 7950GX2 cards.

If you look at this picture of two 7900GX2 you'll notice that it uses two SLI bridges which are located at the front of the card. Compare that to these pictures of the 7950GX2s you'll see that the 7950GX2 only uses one SLI bridge that is located towards the middle of the card. Now looking at the pictures of Alienwares Quad-SLI solution you'll notice that it has two SLI bridges at the front of the cards which makes them 7900GX2s not 7950GX2s.

#9 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:39 PM

So apparently, Quad SLI will be available on the 7950X2 at some point in the future, but not at launch. On the 7900GX2 however, Quad SLI is already available. Awesome.

Is it me, or are they releasing new vid cards like every two weeks?

- Arlo Guthrie

#10 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:21 AM

That's what I find, new ones come out quite frequently. After ATI releases the 1K series, a week or two they come out with a X1900. And nVidia shot that 7950X2 pretty quick.

#11 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:42 AM

Still can't do AA and HDR at the same time, so ATi is still in the lead.

- Rick Cook

#12 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:45 AM

Any ideas as to when the 7900GX2 is going on sale?

Theydon't have it anywhere that I can see, expect in that Alienware PC.

- Arlo Guthrie

#13 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 05:50 PM

Any ideas as to when the 7900GX2 is going on sale?

Theydon't have it anywhere that I can see, expect in that Alienware PC.

Never, the 7900GX2 requires a custom case and power supply so it is only available to OEM manufacturers. The 7950GX2 than again is available at most e-retailers.

#14 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:46 AM

Just wanted to refresh this topic and let everyone know the 7950GX2 is now capable of running as a Quad-SLI setup. The down side being that, right now, it'll run you around $1200. :thumbsup:

- Arlo Guthrie

#15 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:32 PM

I really don't see the reason right now for Quad SLI, either then being able ot say it's better then SLI/Crossfire. No game really needs that's much horsepower, maybe Oblivion, and Crysis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users