Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Login froze 5 times after entering password - 6th time booted fine

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ammobake

ammobake

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:36 PM

Odd issue in Windows XP Pro SP3.  My workstation that I work on daily has been working great with no issues.  I didn't install anything recently.  This morning I went to log in as usual.  Typed in password and clicked to log in then a total system freeze that required me to unplug the machine to reboot.

To be clear - when the freezes would occur it would happen right there at the login screen with blue background (screen never went completely blank or anything).

It's like the password takes and then complete lockup without doing anything else.

This happened 5 times in a row.  The sixth time, I logged in and the screen immediately went to my desktop and my icons started to show up like nothing was wrong.

I'm currenty logged in so it isn't an issue now.  But Nothing changed between any of those 6 times I tried so it doesn't make sense.

I did research this problem a bit and people are saying it can be caused by microsoft security essentials being out of date but I dont' have it installed.

I do regular scans for viruses/malware and have symantec antivirus installed.

Even if the domain had a problem handling my login it wouldn't freeze up my computer, specifically. 

Any ideas of what could cause these login freezes?

Nothing has changed on my computer from yesterday to today (yesterday everything worked great like it usually does).  I never went to any wierd websites either - just a couple news sites to see what's going on in the world.

-ChriS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:27 PM

A damaged user profile might, IMO.  That's one of the typical reasons users have reported login problems.

Louis

#3 ammobake

ammobake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:48 PM

Thanks Luis I think I'm going to run a couple scans just to see what comes up.

If the local user account was damaged I don't think it would even let me log in at all though right?

And if my user account on the domain was damaged it would be damaged until fixed over on the domain side - in other words there wouldn't be any way for my computer to log in to that account until it was addressed, regardless of what was going on locally with the computer.

But that sixth log in attempt this morning was perfectly normal - as if the first five times I had to unplug my computer didn't happen.

I haven't yet gone through my startup programs to see if anything has changed so I'm going to do that also.  Thanks!

-ChriS

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:59 AM

I don't know anything about domains...that can be addressed by someone who knows :).

Damaged profiles don't necessarily conform to "all or nothing" effects.  Typically, Windows will warn before total access is denied, but I can't say that happens in every case.

Louis

#5 ammobake

ammobake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:18 PM

Thanks Louis that would be my assumption also - that any denied login attempt would at least give you a message that it didn't take.

But just to give an update - I haven't had this problem before or since.  It was kind of a freak one-time event.  But it did fail 5 times in a row even if it did work the sixth time.

So there was definately something causing it over and over.

Just adds to the mystery I guess.  But if it had been an issue with the domain I would think it would be more consistent and would at least give you a message that domain log in failed instead of completely freezing up 5 times in a row like that.

Thanks for your time!  I'll update if it happens again.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:55 AM

:thumbup2: , sounds good, we will be around :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users