Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help to deIete Iobit Smart Defrag Boot Time please

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Crystal's

Crystal's

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:43 PM

Hi there, my husband was running Iobits malware fighter and smart defrag on his XP SP3 PC he uninstalled them, but still smart defrag boot time keeps running at pc start up.
If you go to add/remove programs it is not listed there and he wants to remove it completly and stop it from running.

Under MSconfig - startup configeration utility its not listed there either, it runs before windows even starts right after the bios

would appreciate some assistance please                                                        

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:12 PM

Hello, and Welcome

If you have .NET Framework 3.5 installed you can run this utility to remove IOBit Smart Defrag.

If not, then download RevoUninstaller Pro which has a 30 day trial.

Another option is to run AutoRuns and search for IOBit.

I would create a restore point before doing any of the above.

#3 Crystal's

Crystal's
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:30 PM

Hello and thank you, will let you know what happens next            

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:24 PM

FWIW:  If you have any other of the IObit store of programs installed...I suggest that you uninstall each of them or similar type programs, including all "optimizers/registry cleaners".

Louis

#5 Crystal's

Crystal's
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:13 PM

Does  that    include

FWIW:  If you have any other of the IObit store of programs installed...I suggest that you uninstall each of them or similar type programs, including all "optimizers/registry cleaners".

Louis

Does that include CCleaner to?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:17 PM

Members are advised to NOT use the Ccleaner registry tool, all other functions of that program have green light.

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner FAQ, PC Support - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/registry-cleaner/a/registry-cleaner-faq.htm

Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 31 October 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#7 Crystal's

Crystal's
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:19 PM

@ JohnC_21     -  We have run the bitremover the first link
(If you have .NET Framework 3.5 installed you can run this utility to remove IOBit Smart Defrag)

Ticked all the Iobit boxes and ran it.

removed 0 files and 0 registry entries

working on other suggestions on the list

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:27 PM

You might take a look in services and see if any Iobit services are still running and gumming up the works.  If there are, just set them

Start/Run...type services.msc, hit Enter.  Services are listed in alphabetical order, scroll list for "IObit" anything.  Set service to Disabled status, click Apply, click OK.

Louis

#9 Crystal's

Crystal's
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:44 PM

You might take a look in services and see if any Iobit services are still running and gumming up the works.  If there are, just set them

Start/Run...type services.msc, hit Enter.  Services are listed in alphabetical order, scroll list for "IObit" anything.  Set service to Disabled status, click Apply, click OK.

Louis

Thank you louis

All these Iobits things seem to behave like malware, we looked in services but there is no iobits in there.

Hubby is thinking atm it might be on his H: drive from backing up his C: Drive as it only seems to run smart defrag boot time when its plugged in

It also seems to delete all his systemrestore points when it runs (yes he has made a new one before doing any of these processors)

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 04:09 PM

Have you tried Autoruns? Look for anything IOBIT or Smart Defrag in the tabs. Pay special attention to the Drivers and also the services tab. If it shows nothing try the following.

If Device Manager, Select View Show Hidden Devices. Look under the Non plug and play drivers for anything IOBIT or Smart Defrag.

Edit: Another place to look. Start > Programs > Startup

And see if there is a SmartDefrag Task Scheduled in Task Manager.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 October 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#11 Crystal's

Crystal's
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:14 PM

@JohnC_21 and @hamluis

Hello this is the husband here replying this time... I first used the ERUNT freeware to back up the registery...then I tried BitRemover and checked for each possible installation of any IOBits products...nothing then tried the VS Revo Uninstaller Pro...found no IOBits products either....when I ran the AutoRun though...under the boot execute tab it found an EXE file with SmartDefragBootime....in the C:\windows\windows32\smartdefragbootime.exe file and deleted it. I hope that will take care of it...there were some other "orphaned" files which I will clean up too.

The symptoms were that the bootime were 2 issues....one was starting before windows was and deleting or corrupting in some way files on an attacted external 2Tb HDD which would make all except for a single directory on the external HDD "disappear" or appear to...without a LAN would have thought it was worthless and lost all the data. But the data was showing up when that same 2Tb HDD was accessed through the router via  the OTHER PCs so I knew it was there....tried running the HD company's repair software and also CHKDSK from windows "RUN..." but nothing helped....than I went to DOS...cmd...entered chkdsk (drive name): /f and ran it that way and after it was done and accessing the external 2Tb HDD and bingo...all the files and directories were there. 

The second issue was that my system restore points would mysteriously disappear....which began happening just after I (thought) removed the IObits SmartDefrag v3.....Dont know for sure but its seems to be whenever the SmartDefrag started up...they were no where to be found and had to create them again.

Hope that helps with this for someone in the future...as the connection with SmartDefrag and the corruption of the files and data system on the external drive was not obvious. Neither was the loss of the System Restore Points.

I had not tried the Device Manager Show Hidden Devices so I dont know if that would have helped too.

Thank you for your speedy reply and helpful knowledge based replies!!!!!!!!

I think this is the best forum online.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users