Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a way to Identify the OS on the H Drive?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:50 AM

Apparently, there are 3 Local Disk segments on my Hard drive;

(G:)

(C:)

(F:)

I have been using this DELL Dimension 2350 for few years now and want to keep it running as a 2nd computer.

My problem is I am trying to get the un needed stuff out of the discs.

It seems that XP has been installed and reinstalled, . . .

Is there a way to find out what XP folders are being used so that I might delete others ?

I do not have an install disc.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:04 PM

Windows sets the drive / partition with the active Windows installation as 'C:\' and labels the others as it sees fit. So, your active Windows installation is on the one labelled 'C'. If you have 'Windows_old' folders on your system these can be safely deleted once you have checked inside them to see if there is any stray data in the 'Users' folder.

On your 'C:\' drive you should have at a mininum a Program files, and possibly a Program files (x86), folder, a User Folder and a Windows folder. These are the ones that hold your applications, your OS and your data (if you use default storage locations). You need these ones to make your system work. Other similar folders on other drives and partitions are remnants of other installs. Check any other User folders for old data you still want and move it to wherever you currently store your data. Then these folders can be deleted if you wish.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:22 PM

Thanks , let me study this and I'll get back with results.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users