Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS time changes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brandonchallock

brandonchallock

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:52 AM

Hello,

I have three year old Sony Vaio laptop that I use at work.  The time in my BIOS moves back 4 to 5 mins after I reset the time.  I first noticed that my Windows time, Windows 7 pro, was reverting back 4 to 5 mins after I would change it so I checked the BIOS time.  Noticed that it was slow as well and made the change.  Within 10mins of making the change my Windows and BIOS time had moved back 5 mins.  

This isn't a huge deal, but it is kind of annoying.  I am assuming it is a motherboard battery issue, or is that a poor assumption?  If anyone has any thoughts would like to read them.

thanks,

Brandon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:59 AM

may need a new cmos battery

#3 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:52 AM

I agree with kaz20 that is probably a bad CMOS battery.  They only cost a few bucks to replace, so you should try that first.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:31 PM

This is a laptop, so changing the CMOS battery isn't necessarily as easy as on a desktop.  I know that HP machines use a battery with a connector soldered to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users