Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Burned motherboard fixable??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 noz03

noz03

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:47 AM

Recently my Acer 4810t just stopped turning on, I had a friend take a look at it and he said the motherboard is burned. So I am wondering if it would be worth trying to fix this or just move on? The problem is, I'm extremely broke, and to buy a used computer in Germany would cost around 150-200 euros.

As I can see on eBay I can get a replacement motherboard for less than 50 euros, BUT... I'm not sure if I would be able to change it myself (hard drive or ram is ok but changing the whole motherboard is a bit above my level). Also, the laptop had quite a few power related issues before this happened, so I think there could be a problem with other parts of the computer which maybe caused the motherboard to burn, so it could just work a week or two and burn out again.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? This all happened when I am about to move to a new country and am in the most difficult financial situation of my life... Sods (murthys) law right? :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:34 PM

If you're going to have issues installing a replacement motherboard fixing a motherboard is beyond the scope of your abilities.  Probably best to move on/  Depending on why you need the computer you may be able to get by with a Chromebook or an Android tablet.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:43 PM

If you have reason to believe that there may be other problems in this laptop than a damaged motherboard then, as Kilroy suggests, you are better to move on. Replacing the mobo in a laptop is not a straightforward matter and it is possible to damage leads and connectors while you are doing it. As for repairing them, they are virtually unrepairable by any private individual even when not burn damaged. I wouldn't even think about starting to repair one.

Normally, € 150 - 200 would not be a lot of money, but when you are broke, you are broke !  Public library, internet cafe, mobile phone for your essential communication needs ?

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#4 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:10 AM

Is there anything I could do with the old one to get a little money out of it? So far a computer shop offered me 20 Euros for it but I feel like that is a bit low for my once loved computer :(

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:03 AM

How much will the shop charge to fix it?

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:01 PM

I could probably get the fix done for a discounted rate of $100 USD.  Shipping would add another $25.  You see where this is going.  Expert soldering skills, access to circuit diagrams and a repair is possible.  GGet the $20. and move UP, not side ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users