Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ping increase after unexplainable modem self-reset


  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 daggoth

daggoth

  • Members
  • 35 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:45 AM

Hello BC,

It's been some time since I have posted in this forum, since everything about my PC was thankfully in order. Until 13 October (18 days ago) that is. Well it definitely feels good to be back again.

 

Thought this might actually be a game-related topic, then I realized it might be more than that.

 

Problem: I take my laptop to another location and connect to a wi-fi there for a couple of hours, return home at 13 October, plug back into my modem. When I'm browsing Internet, modem resets by itself, and I start getting high pings from every online game in my system (Example: I have been getting 45-50 ping on League of Legends for a steady 4 months, which is now ranging between 90-120). Later, on speedtest.net, I realize that if i run the test many times, I can sometimes get 50-60 ping from Frankfurt, Germany (Where LoL servers are located) although most of the time I get 90+ from the very same server.

 

TL;DR: Ping increased for foreign countries after random modem self-reset. 

 

My system: Asus Rog G75VW. Windows 7 up to date. GPU = Nvidia GeForce GTX 670M (up to date)

 

Location: Turkey

 

Steps I have taken so far:

* Reset modem and do a speedtest before/after comparison. No effect.

* Return modem to factory settings. No effect.

* Called ISP, they have told me I should contact the modem provider and not them.

* Contacted modem provider, told me to activate modem firewall (why?), didn't do the trick. No further help.

* Clean up hosts file

* Disabled every firewall application including windows firewall.

* Disabled "IP Helper" service.

* ipconfig /flushdns and /renew
* Run CCleaner (Cleaner & Registry)

* Removed ZenMate application from chrome (Which uses a Frankfurt proxy by default that got me suspicious) 

* Unchecked "Automatically detect settings" "Use a proxy server for your LAN" in Internet Settings-> Lan Settings

* Cleared Google Chrome cache

* Scan with Mbam and got no malware reports 

* Disabled wi-fi of modem

* Made sure that power management setting is on "High Performance"

* Made sure that GPU is on %100 performance when "High Performance" is on.

* System Properties -> Performance Settings -> Adjust for Best Performance

* No Anti-Virus programs installed. Disabled every startup except IconUtility from Alcor Microcorp, Asus media programs, Steelseries Engine (for mouse) and Wireless Console. 

 

No change so far. I have been considering calling my ISP and pressure them for some better information, but wanted to take pro advice first.

 



BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


m



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users