Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to do a factory image restore on a new hard drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RYOTSU

RYOTSU

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:24 AM

I have a dell 580s system with win7 home premium os. Its hard drive (wd5000aaks) has almost failed. I"m using "almost" because system is unable to boot but i am able to move my files in and out of the system by going in to recovery console where there is a option named "load drivers". It all started when one day my system hung up and i did a forced shut down and after restart it started giving a s.m.a.r.t. error and took me to bios screen where i did'nt know what to do so i just selected "exit without saving" option. From there it was giving "bootmgr is missing " error and despite trying for 3-4 weeks i was unable to resolve the issue so i bought a new hard drive (wd10ezex) . After which i did a fresh install using (1) my windows installation cd (2) dell inspiron desktop software disc (3) dell drivers and utilities disc , all of which i received with this system but after installation there were several programs missing like adobe reader , some windows apps like windows picture manager and windows live photo gallery etc. , some dell apps were also missing . So my question is that is there anyway by which i can do a factory image reinstall on this new hard drive ? Because of unawareness i had not created any image recovery media at the time of receiving the new system . I googled about it and there were some hints about using windows recovery partition on the old hard drive which currently i have access . But will it be enough to just do a copy paste from old one to the new hd. Please help and thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:46 PM

Since you have Win 7 HP installation disk and the Dell drivers disk that is all you really need to set your computer up and running on your new hard drive. In fact i am surprised when you say you have both these disks and a recovery partition.

If you really want these Windows apps that are apparently missing it might be worth your while to re-install Windows. Failing that, I would go for the free VLC player -

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.en_GB.html

And for the picture manager I would go for Irfanview and its associated thumbnail viewer, which is another free download from here -

http://www.irfanview.com/

You should also get the plug-ins for Irfanview, from the same place. I use both these applications, fairly intensively. Also, for the Adobe reader -

http://www.adobe.com/

As for your question about copy/pasting your recovery partition, I can think of no reason why it shouldn't work but it might want you to create a small partition to put it in for it to work properly. Personally, I would be more concerned about saving any of my data that is still on this failing drive before it gives up the ghost completely.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users