Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Desktop Search

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 secretangel

secretangel

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:25 PM

I use windows desktop search frequently to locate files quickly but have discovered today that emails that I had deleted from Outlook Express folders (Inbox, Sent Items, Deleted Items) can still be found and read through the windows desktop search facility.

There were some sensitive emails that I did not wish anyone else to read and would like to know how I can delete them so they do not show up this way.

When doing the search the location of the emails is folder Main Identity/Local Folders/Inbox (or Main Identity/Local Folder/Sent Items.

Have tried to locate these folders on my computer but haven't found them yet and do not know where to look.

Any advice welcome.
Posted Image

When you wanna give up, and your hearts about to break
Remember that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wektech

wektech

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:56 PM

The outlook express data files are found at
documents and settings
your user id (variable)
application data
identities
your identity (variable)
microsoft
outlook e & outlook express

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:27 PM

The files you're trying to locate are hidden files.
To see these files, you'll have to set windows to show hidden files,
How to see hidden files in Windows
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:49 AM

Thank you for the help.

Couldn't find the data files where you said wektech - got so far and then came to empty folders.

Already had windows set to show hidden files and that is what has actually helped me. I went into the Windows Search options and selected "do not show hidden files and folders" and that has prevented the emails I had deleted from the Outlook Express folders from being shown.

Thanks again :thumbsup:
Posted Image

When you wanna give up, and your hearts about to break
Remember that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users